The Mustard Seed’s Mission is to build hope and wellbeing for our most vulnerable citizens through Jesus’ love.
The Mustard Seed is committed to helping people who are homeless transition toward and maintain sustainable and healthy lifestyles. This position oversees the operation of the kitchen at the Red Deer location and is responsible for providing meal service for clients who are actively participating in programs and community events that may include meals
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage the delivery of a healthy and nutritious meal program including researching nutritional information and creating menus that fit the budget and available donations;
- Supervise cleaning of all Food Services areas to ensure health and safety standards are met;
- Order the food and supplies necessary to maintain the successful daily operation of Food Services;
- Maintain and be aware of food costs in the preparation of meals and that the menu plans are followed;
- Implement the procedures, standards and policies of the Environmental Health Services Guidelines regarding how food is prepared, handled, and stored;
- Provide information to the Director of Central Alberta regarding kitchen renovations or improvements and the repair, or maintenance of equipment;
- Identify problem areas and suggest methods to improve overall operations of the kitchen;
- Oversee the day-to-day management of Food Services;
- Provide input to and assist in the implementation of program evaluation;
- In conjunction with Volunteer department, implement strategy to involve volunteers within Food Services;
- Coordinate and administrate fine option placements in Food Services;
- Provide direction, supervision, and training in food handling procedures to volunteer meal groups, community education groups, individual volunteers, and fine option workers;
- Evaluate volunteers and fine option workers, as required;
- Record meals served and fine option workers and volunteer hours;
- Keep a current inventory of all kitchen equipment;
- Input into the development of the food services budget;
- Track statistics and prepare reports, as required;
- Attend meetings and training, as assigned;
- Serve on internal and external committees, as requested;
- Assist in identification of program equipment and materials;
- Assist with interviews, as requested;
- Provide direction and supervision of staff to assist them to perform their tasks in an effective and efficient manner, including creating work schedules;
- Implement health and safety policies and procedures to ensure a safe working environment;
- Provide input to for staff performance reviews, as requested;
- Under the direction of and with your supervisor discipline employees, as needed and as directed, including documentation of actions taken;
- Work cooperatively with Employment program area in scheduling and supervision of program staff;
- Provide training for program staff in food handling procedures;
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Formally trained in Food Services and or a minimum of three (3) years’ experience working in a commercial kitchen environment.
- Experience overseeing staff in kitchen considered a strong asset
- Have a valid certificate from the Alberta Health Services Food Safe course
- Strong working knowledge in Microsoft Office Programs (i.e., Word, Outlook, Excel)
- Ability to learn new software programs as The Mustard Seed uses several in its operation
- Be willing to take any necessary training The Mustard Seed requires – NVCI, First Aid
- Good organizational skills are a necessity for menu planning, staff scheduling, food ordering and planning special events.
- A valid driver’s license is an asset. Food pickups may be required.
- Ability to lead a team consisting of paid staff, volunteers, and guests
- Ability to resolve conflicts as they arise.
- This is a full-time position with some flexibility. The Mustard Seed – Red Deer currently offers 3 meals per week (subject to change)
- This is a “hands on” position and there will be lifting involved.
- This can be a high pressure environment where the ability to adapt to change and find creative solutions is essential.
- Employment Security Check is required
- As The Mustard Seed is a Christian ministry, we require our employees to be in agreement and to sign our statement of faith
- Must have legal authorization to work in Canada on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer
Start date: Immediate
This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
Please forward cover letter and resume to indicating the position title in the subject line.
The Mustard Seed offers a competitive compensation package including 100% employer paid extended health and dental benefits for staff and dependents, matching RRSP after one year of service, and flex days.