The John Howard Society of the Lower Mainland of BC promotes a safe and peaceful community through effective, humane criminal and social justice programs. Our vision is "Improving Lives, One Person at a Time."
Please visit our website for further information www.jhslmbc.ca
The John Howard Society of the Lower Mainland of BC (JHSLM) is seeking casual Community Living Outreach Workers in the Lower Mainland. The Outreach Worker provides assertive outreach support to clients referred to JHSLM by Community Living BC to enable their adjustment to, and success with life in the community. The Outreach Worker provides casework support to individuals with developmental disabilities, concurrent disorders, substance misuse, spectrum disorders and/or criminal justice involvement under the care of Community Living British Columbia. The successful candidate will be self-motivated, outgoing, caring, and will understand the importance of working within an agency that is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities. Specific skills supporting clients with concurrent disorders, substance misuse, and spectrum disorders, and current valid BC Government Vulnerable Adults Criminal Record Check will be an asset.
The Outreach Worker will:
- Receive referrals from Community Living BC
- Work with the client, research background material, and seek the input of other professionals and family members, to provide the assessment that will ascertain needs and postulate intervention possibilities
- Work with the client to consider issues and create a mutually agreed intervention and support plan that has measurable short and long-term goals
- Ensure issues of daily living, including but not limited to housing, nutrition, clothing, hygiene, leisure lifestyle and access, employment and education are addressed in this plan
- Ensure the client’s ongoing legal, mental health and physical health issues are addressed in the plan
- When and as needed, provide a wide range of interventions to enable the client to address and accomplish the established goals
- Interact with other professionals, family members and organizations to ensure services, admissions and treatments are in the client’s interest and supportive of the long term goals
- On the client’s behalf, be a resource to other professionals, including but not limited to the courts, probation services and community and institutional psychiatric services
- Maintain extensive records and case notes in accord with Community Living BC policy and standards
- Complete monthly progress reports
- Participate in staff and resident/staff meetings as instructed by Outreach Program Managers
- Other duties as subsequently negotiated
QULIFICATIONS AND EXPERTISE
- Graduate with a Diploma or Certificate, preferably in the Behavioural Sciences, Social Work, Child and Youth Care Worker, or Community Social Service or equivalent
- Demonstrate a clear ability to respond to a crisis situation
- Proven Leadership Ability and experience working in a team environment
- Have an understanding of supporting persons with a developmental disability
- Excellent oral, written, facilitation and interpersonal communications skills
- Possess a class 5 drivers license
- Possess certifications in first aid/CPR, food safe, non-violent crisis intervention and/or Mandt
- Candidate must successfully pass a Criminal Record Check and British Columbia Vulnerable Persons Clearance
Applicants who have a current, valid BC government Vulnerable Persons Criminal Record Check is an asset.
Please submit your application with a detailed cover letter and resume to with the subject line - "Vancouver/Lower Mainland Casual Community Living Outreach"
The John Howard Society of the Lower Mainland of BC thanks all applicants for your interest in this opportunity, however please note only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.