Celebrating over 60 years, the Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra has been a cornerstone of Calgary’s multi-faceted arts community since 1955 and is one of North America’s finest and most versatile live music ensembles. A repertoire that is extensive and broad in scope consistently attracts acclaimed guest artists and conductors. From the world’s greatest classics, to Pops and family programming, the Calgary Philharmonic offers an average of 80 concerts per Season, plus exciting and diverse community programs.
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
Providing assistance to the President & CEO, this position requires exceptional communication skills (both written and verbal) and excellent time management and prioritization skills. The Assistant must coordinate regularly with the Directors, managers, staff, musicians, donors, patrons, outside arts organizations, and members of the public.
POSITION DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
DUTY A: (25%) Provide high level administrative assistance to the CEO to ensure CEO is informed of, and prepared for, the daily operations of the CPO and that correspondence leaving his/her office is well-written, professional and engaging.
- Provide administrative assistance to the CEO in performing a variety of functions that require a broad and in-depth knowledge of the programs, goals and operations of the CPO as well as awareness and understanding of the CEO’s position on relevant issues.
- Write, edit and distribute correspondence on CEO’s behalf.
- Contact donors on behalf of CEO, occasionally recommending to CEO appropriate channel through which to contact donors.
- Write and edit grant applications for the CEO as required.
- Research organizations, grants, projects and individuals for the CEO as required, which may include contacting references. Prepare reports on research findings.
- Respond to inquiries, assess situations and direct requests to the CEO or elsewhere as may be appropriate.
DUTY B: (25%) Manage a range of special projects in collaboration with Directors and other CPO employees and key community groups.
- Plan, coordinate and facilitate a range of special events for the CEO and staff.
- Coordinate the timely submission of grant applications and final reports among departments of the CPO.
- Schedule meetings, appointments and make arrangements for visitors to the CPO as needed.
- Attend CPO events to promote various projects and activities of the CPO.
- Liaise with local arts organizations as required for the CEO.
DUTY C (15%): Relieve the CEO of as much administrative detail as possible to ensure effective use of his/her time.
- Schedule meetings, appointments and make travel arrangements for the CEO.
- Monitor and occasionally update the CEO’s calendar.
- Prepare forms for the CEO's signature as required.
- Ensure the CEO's travel documentation is up-to-date and complete.
- Monitor the CEO’s travel, parking and community relations’ expenses. Submit for reimbursement.
DUTY D: (10%) Prepare and distribute minutes relating to CPO’s meetings requiring the CEO’s presence.
- Prepare agenda packages, collecting materials as necessary for all meeting commitments of the CEO.
- Record and distribute minutes of the Director's Meetings and other meetings as required.
- Prepare requisitions for budget transactions as required.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Three to five years experience in related role
- High level of proficiency in MS Word, Excel, and web navigation
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent customer service/public relations skills
- Ability to prioritize, problem solve, and make effective decisions
- Ability to multi-task and manage time effectively
- Project management skills
- Musical background is strongly preferred
Desired Start Date: October 31, 2016
Application Deadline: October 4, 2016
Office Location: Arts Commons, 2nd Floor, 205 – 8 Avenue SE Calgary, AB T2G 0K9
Please send cover letter, resume and salary expectations to .
We thank you for your interest in the Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra. Please note that only successful candidates will be contacted.