Do you love the outdoors? Are you passionate about youth development? Are you aligned with our mission to help develop well rounded youth, better prepared for success in the world? Do you have experience managing business operations and properties and think you have what it takes to become our next Property Management Director? If you answered yes we want to hear from you!
For more than 100 years, Scouts Canada has brought a world of adventure, outdoor experience, friendship and fun to 17 million Canada youth. We have reinvigorated our program to meet the changing demands of youth and are looking for a self-motivated individual to achieve results and who has the ability to work cooperatively with others to achieve shared goals.
Reporting directly to the Executive Director, Business Services the Property Management Director will manage the business operations at Scouts Canada Properties within the province of Quebec and Ontario.
Specifically, you will be responsible for:
- Building and maintaining strong working relationships with key stakeholders at the staff and volunteer levels and Operations Managers in support of implementation of Scouts Canada’s Property Standards program within Quebec/Ontario
- Communicating regularly with property personnel. (staff and volunteers)
- Ensuring key process targets and timelines are met.
- Supporting the implementation of short-term, medium and long-range business planning of properties
- Providing guidance around best practices and organizational expectations with regard to both maintenance/operations and capital improvements including facilities and program infrastructure.
- Supporting ongoing planning and execution of full service summer programs at six sites across Ontario & Quebec in collaboration with Operations Manager, Finance and other key stakeholders.
- Ensuring strict adherence to Human Resources and Payroll procedures.
- Work cooperatively with the Operations Manager, Finance to create and monitor financial performance of Council managed properties and summer programs on an ongoing basis.
- Work with Camp Managers and Directors to adjust fee structures and onsite practices to ensure financial performance remains on track each fiscal year.
- Supervise Facilities (Camp) Bookings Team located at Central Ontario Service Centre. Evaluate current processes and systems to identify opportunities for efficiency and improvement.
- Carry out all aspects of Scouts Canada’s performance management cycle with regard to all direct reports as outlined by Human Resources department and senior management.
Education, Experience & Skills
- Bachelor’s degree or post-secondary education in a related field.
- 5+ years of relevant Property Management experience; including supervision of teams.
- Experience working with volunteers and volunteer management approaches.
- Broad understanding required of property related standards, including interpretation of complex information.
- Demonstrated ability to work in partnership with and represent Scouts Canada to external agencies, including government
- Experience in implementing or maintaining organizational standards and accreditation programs
- Demonstrated experience in change management
- Experience with content management systems and/or databases
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- High volume electronic and phone communication.
- Ability to work off site, on the road, frequent with minor discomfort.
- Must be willing to travel as required across the Provinces of Ontario & Quebec
- Must be willing to work outside of traditional working hours (evenings/weekends)
- You will be connected to an office environment with flexible working hours
- Attendance at National Conferences and functions as required (2-3 times annually)
- The incumbent may be required to conduct onsite visits to camp properties (outdoor/wilderness environments)
- Must possess a valid ‘G’ Driver’s License in the Province of Ontario and provide own vehicle.
- Mileage allowance will be provided, unless rental vehicle is determined to be the most effective means of transportation.
Organizational Core Competencies
- Member Focus – Demonstrates commitment to increasing member satisfaction, assumes responsibility for solving problems, ensures commitments to members are met, solicits organizational and personal performance feedback from members.
- Integrity/Ethics – Deals with others in a straightforward and honest manner, maintains confidentiality and supports company values
- Dependability – Meets commitments, accepts accountability, stays focused under pressure and meets attendance/punctuality requirements
- Teamwork – Meets all team deadlines and responsibilities, listens to others and values opinions, helps team leader to meet goals, welcomes newcomers and promotes a team atmosphere
- Job knowledge – Understands duties and responsibilities, has necessary job knowledge and technical skills, understands Scouts Canada’s mission/vision and keeps job knowledge current
Job Specific Competencies
- Interpersonal Skills: Excellent interpersonal skills and proven ability to work with all levels of management, staff, volunteers and outside partners.
- Problem Solving: A fact-based approach to problem solving
- Process Management: Detail oriented with the ability to follow procedures and policies while maintaining accuracy
- Self-Motivated/Motivating others: creates a climate in which the individual and people want to do their best, empowering other, shares ownership and visibility.
- Collaborative: Collaborative and cooperative approach
Scouts Canada thanks you for taking the time to consider this position. Please understand that only individuals chosen for an interview will be contacted. For more information about Scouts Canada, please visit our web sites at www.scouts.ca.
Scouts Canada encourages applications from all qualified candidates and has a great record of accommodating persons with disabilities. Contact Lisa Donnelly in Human Resources at or 613-224-5131 if you need accommodation at any stage of the application process or want more information on our accommodation policies.