The Mustard Seed’s Mission is to build hope and wellbeing for our most vulnerable citizens through Jesus’ love.
The Mustard Seed helps improve the lives of adult Albertans experiencing poverty by building community, growing hope and supporting change. Through enhanced visibility, and relationship building, Street Level Services strives to make the Centre Street Campus of Change a safe and welcoming environment for guests, donors and volunteers. The Street Level Worker will provide an identifiable and visible presence within the Red Deer Campus, that optimizes safety, builds relationships, and values people.
The Red Deer Mustard Seed provides meals and advocacy services to the Red Deer community. Temporary hours of operation (July – September 2016) are noon – 8pm, Monday – Friday. Future operational hours will expand to include weekday mornings with the potential to become a 24 hour a day, 7 day a week frontline support. The Street Level Worker is the primary point of contact for residents, Mustard Seed staff, and visitors as they enter the premises.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Supervise Red Deer building access, the receipt of donations, and the coordinating client in-take for collection of basic information, issuing ID cards, and directing guests;
- Monitor guest and public activities within and around the Red Deer building, providing support and crisis intervention as required;
- Assess any given situation, greeting the guests at front line and be the first point of contact to resolve confrontational situations with the guest population;
- Provide enhanced visible support throughout the premises, perceiving and responding to opportunities that will optimize safety, and build community;
- Provide a visible presence on the premises and surrounding community, and seek opportunities to positively engage with members of the public who are passing through or visiting;
- Greet and ensure donors are treated with excellence and appreciation;
- Exterior yard maintenance and supporting clean;
- Attend meetings and training as assigned;
- Keep all client information confidential;
- Other duties as assigned;
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Post-secondary Degree or Diploma preferred;
- Front line experience in Security or Social Services considered an asset;
- Customer service experience;
- Strong desire to work with a marginalized population;
- Good relationship building and communication skills,
- Some knowledge of mental illness and addictions;
- Working knowledge of MS Office computer applications;
- Experience working with volunteers;
- A self-starter with the ability to work in a cross-functional team;
- Desire to serve in a Christian ministry;
- Initial schedule for this position will be Monday – Friday noon – 8:30. Future potential schedule may include a rotational work week schedule, running 7:00 AM – 7:00 PM, including weekend support;
- This position will require working inside and outside in various climates, and will involve moderate levels of physical effort, including but not limited to, standing for long periods, walking, climbing stairs, bending, lifting, and pushing donation carts.
- This position requires focused mental effort, including but not limited to, adapting to an often fast-paced environment, operating a computer, using two-way radio communications, perceiving and quickly responding to crises within and around the premises.
- Employment Security Check is required
- As The Mustard Seed is a Christian ministry, we require our employees to be in agreement and to sign our statement of faith
- The Mustard Seed embraces the concept of employment equity, which includes fair representation, anti-discrimination and reasonable accommodation.
- Must have legal authorization to work in Canada on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employerStart date: Immediate
This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
Please forward cover letter and resume to indicating the position title in the subject line.
The Mustard Seed offers a competitive compensation package including 100% employer paid extended health and dental benefits for staff and dependents, matching RRSP after one year of service, and flex days.