WE is a movement that brings people together and gives them the tools to change the world. Our vision is to shift the world from “me” to “we.” Our mission is to empower all people to change the world, locally and globally, achieving transformative outcomes for themselves and others.
WE is seeking a strong, experienced financial business leader to act as Financial Controller, a senior leader and strategic financial advisor who can ensure the fulfilment of financial operations, best-practices and compliance, as well as business strategy, across the organization.
The Financial Controller will ensure that WE has the systems and procedures in place to support effective program implementation and conduct flawless audits, as a unified organization. The incumbent will report to the Executive Director, WE Charity, and work closely with executive-level management, directors, and program leaders, not only to educate them regarding finance and accounting procedures but also to explore how the finance function can support overall operations.
In addition, they will partner with the CFO and senior leadership to enhance and better integrate finance, business strategy and development, HR, and IT functions across the organization.
This individual must be passionate and committed to the core beliefs of the organization—the WE.org philosophy.
The position is based out of WE’s office in Toronto (233 Carlton Street).
As the financial strategy liaison between the CFO and the Executive Director, the Financial Controller will be a key point of contact for financial consulting on operational and management processes, and will be involved in supporting decision-making processes. The principle responsibility will be to implement and integrate the financial process within each department, to ensure financial unity and stability across the organization.
Core accountabilities include (but are not limited to):
- Establishes and maintains a framework for internal financial control, including the organization’s goals, financial policies, procedures, methods, projects, and controls, and continues to seek ways to maximize process efficiency.
- Sets strong internal financial compliance policies, and introduces a reliable framework to uphold those policies.
- Conducts operational budgeting and tracking for major projects, ensuring consistency and continuity with the mission and vision of the organization.
- Oversees the financial management of all inventory, cost and valuations of inventory, margin analysis, price and demand forecasting.
- Close collaboration with the Executive Team to assess the financial efficacy of program operations and establish finance and administrative systems to support program operations.
- Close collaboration with all Business Units to support in fostering an understanding financial aspects and implements efficiencies and savings in day-to-day operations.
Financial Planning & Reporting
- Consistently analyze financial data and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements; monitor progress and changes and keep senior leadership abreast of WE’s financial status.
- Supports Executive leadership in the annual budgeting and planning process; administers and reviews all financial plans and compares to actual results with a view to identify, explain, and correct variances as appropriate.
- Support the Executive Director in preparing financial reporting for the Board of Directors.
- Work with CFO to generate monthly finance and analysis.
- Maintain internal control and safeguards for receipt of revenue, costs, and program budgets and actual expenditures.
- Manage and report on organizational cash flow forecasting by working in partnership with the Executive Directors & CEO.
- Calculate and issue financial and operating metrics.
- Calculate variances from the budget and report significant issues to management, recommending benchmarks against which to measure the performance of company operations.
- Provide financial analyses as needed, in particular for capital investments, pricing decisions, and contract negotiations.
What you bring:
- Candidate should have a Bachelor's degree in accounting or business administration, or equivalent business experience.
- 5 to 15+ years of progressively responsible financial management experience for a mid-sized company or otherwise comparable non-profit organization.
- Strong understanding of all financial functions and how they interact
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting and internal control principles.
- Keen analytic, organization and problem solving skills which allows for strategic data interpretation.
- Technology savvy with experience selecting and overseeing software installations and managing relationships with software vendors; advanced knowledge of accounting and reporting software
- Solid experience coordinating audit activities and managing reporting, budget development and analysis, accounts payable and receivable, general ledger, payroll, and accounting for investments.
- Ability to translate complex financial concepts to individuals at all levels, including finance and non-finance managers.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; experience in clearly and effectively communicating key data, including presentations to senior management, board or other outside partners or relevant stakeholder.
- The ability to work in a team environment and build good working relationships.
Preference will be given to candidates with the Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or Certified Management Accountant (CMA) designations.
What makes us unique…
Social entrepreneurs Marc Kielburger and Craig Kielburger co-founded WE and WE Charity (formerly Free The Children) 20 years ago and have grown it into a family of organizations, including WE Day and ME to WE. WE Charity was among the first organizations in Canada to turn philanthropy on its head by creating a legally distinct social enterprise, ME to WE. Through the social enterprise, 50% of the profits support WE Charity, while the rest is reinvested in the social enterprise.
We are an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and welcomes all interested parties to apply. We sincerely thank all those who apply, however only those considered for an interview will be contacted.