The purpose the Employment Counsellor/Job Developer position is to provide comprehensive employment-focused needs assessment with the goal of providing clients with the knowledge and skills to better understand the strategies & next steps in their job search process and overall responsibility for the placement and employment components of the programs/services clients. He/She will work closely with employers, clients and MicroSkills staff to make the best possible match for clients and employers. Establishes and maintains business relationships with employers in various fields and industries.
- Assess the client’s skills and abilities, employment interest and barriers to successful employment to determine employment needs and develop a plan of action identifying level of support.
- Assists clients with job readiness skills, job search coaching, one-on-one resume writing and job interview preparations.
- Secures employment and placement opportunities for participants registered in MicroSkills programs, utilizing effective research techniques and outreach strategies such as cold calling, developing and following up on leads and referrals, networking with employers.
- Provide information on the local labour market, careers and occupations.
- Research and identify companies, industries, and growth sectors that are hiring in order to access viable job postings and uncover the hidden job market, and actively consults with employers to identify their Human Resource gaps and hiring practices.
- Provides ongoing support and assistance to employers in order to facilitate job retention and maintenance for MicroSkills’ participants as per program requirements.
- Develop an effective employer engagement strategy including arranging on-site visits, employer facilitated workshops, and job shadowing and mentorship opportunities in order to further support the development of employer relationships with MicroSkills. Travels to various employers’ location by car weekly.
- Conduct exit interviews upon employment. Collect and analyze client and employer feedback on service quality and long term impact.
- Effectively prescreen and match participants to employers and prepare placement and employment related documentation as required.
- Utilize the internal CMS system for tracking clients, conducting follow up and recording complete case notes throughout the client relationship. Report program outcomes to Senior Management team.
- Support the planning of agency quarterly jobseekers networking events, recruit potential expert presenters, and develop questionnaires to administer and conduct focus groups with service users and then analyze and document findings.
- Design & deliver various employment preparation workshops.
Qualifications & Skills:
- Post Secondary diploma/Certificate in related disciplines (social science, education, human resources or employment counseling).
- Minimum of two (2) years professional experience in employment counselling, case management and developing job search strategies/techniques. Experience in marketing, recruiting & human resources.
- Experience in delivering workshops and strong facilitation practices. High comfort level in public arenas.
- Demonstrated understanding of job search issues of immigrants, refugees and racial minority people; knowledge of labour market; local employer base and education institutions in Toronto and surrounding areas.
- Strong marketing, customer service, networking and teamwork skills.
- Established relationships with employers in growth sectors.
- Knowledge of communication principles, media, and marketing techniques.
- Strong computer skills in MS Office, Internet, email and database management and familiar with using career resources including computerized assessment tools.
- Comply with the established agency performance standards which includes: productivity/personal responsibility; customer centered service; collaborative team performance; and maintaining a high level of professionalism.
- Flexible as to assigned working hours/locations.
- Ability to train the participants.
- A valid Ontario driver’s license with access to a reliable vehicle for local travel.
|How to Apply:
Please mention you saw this posting on WorkInNonProfits.ca.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please send your cover letter & resume in one attachment (Word or PDF format) directly to Human Resources via email at: . We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please. Thank you!
Recruitment Department, Human Resources