This Settlement Counsellor provides settlement and integration services to newcomers, immigrants, and refugees in the local community. This position outreaches to emerging newcomer communities, provides direct settlement services to clients including assessment, information and referral services, translation and form filling, and advocates for services on behalf of clients. The successful incumbent conducts community needs assessments to inform settlement program and service development, plans and delivers group sessions based on client needs, and evaluates the programs and services delivered. The Settlement Counsellor coordinates settlement services with other community providers of services to immigrants and refugees.
This is a full-time, contract position initially for the duration of September 2016 to March 2017. Any extensions to employment must be made in writing prior to the expected end date.
- Conduct outreach in catchment area to inform newcomers, and the general community about settlement services available to them, based on outreach strategy;
- Connect with other service providers relevant to the needs of newcomers, to develop collaborative activities and partnerships for a coordinated service delivery system;
- Stay current on immigration trends in our community and establish links with emerging communities;
- Interview clients individually to assess their needs and develop service plans;
- Provide direct settlement services, including orientation, counselling, information, translation, and form filling;
- Coordinate accompaniment for clients where required, through assistance of volunteers in agency volunteer program;
- Provide referrals and linkages to other services in the community;
- Provide services in person, by telephone, and by e-mail as required;
- Prepare client files and document all client interventions in client files, both print and electronic;
- Provide follow-up and case management services to clients to support them in the implementation of their settlement plan(s);
- Build knowledge of and relationships with other service providers to effect appropriate referrals for clients;
- Plan and deliver group sessions related to settlement needs identified by the clients, including information about services and resources, workshops, and discussion groups;
- Outreach to other service providers for delivery of information sessions and workshops;
- Facilitate client groups’ participation in program planning and delivery;
- Collaborate with other agency and partner staff to organize networking events to link newcomers with other newcomer and settled residents, and community information sessions to link newcomers with service providers;
- Participate in monthly team meetings with settlement and other relevant staff to review evaluation data, share best practices, and develop new approaches and activities to address clients common needs;
- Prepare and submit monthly and quarterly program reports to management.
- Understanding of and sensitivity to the needs and issues of newcomers, immigrants, and refugees;
- Combined years of work experience and training in provision of settlement counselling, information and referral services, and supportive counselling;
- Ability to provide current and accurate information on settlement and integration and other services of interest to immigrants and refugees;
- Successful completion of a post-secondary diploma in Career Counselling, Community Worker and/or Social Services;
- Experience in working effectively with volunteers, providing support and supervision;
- Knowledge of immigrant services, NGOs, government policies and laws and their impact for Newcomers;
- Knowledge of community human services sector and sectors impacting newcomers’ well-being;
- Experience in planning and delivering workshops, information sessions, and focus groups;
- Knowledge of a second language, specifically Arabic speaking, is a requirement for this role;
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team;
- Ability to communicate effectively and to apply effective and appropriate problem solving skills;
- Report writing and data analysis skills; Other administrative tasks as assigned.
|How to Apply:
Please mention you saw this posting on WorkInNonProfits.ca.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please send your cover letter & resume in one attachment (Word or PDF format) directly to Human Resources via email at: . We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please. Thank you!
Recruitment Department, Human Resources