RC Bishop of the Diocese of Calgary invites applications for Casual and Relief Support Staff at Elizabeth House. Elizabeth House is a residential program of the RC Diocese in partnership with the Sisters of Charity of St. Louis.
Located in NW Calgary, Elizabeth House provides shelter and guidance to at-risk, pregnant and parenting young women who need a safe place to reside while working towards independent living. As these young women move from pregnancy to parenthood, they are also provided opportunity to improve their physical, emotional and financial stability through external programming and supports.
Reporting to the Program Manager, Support Staff maintain a calm and caring presence within the home during evening, overnight (sleep), and weekend hours. They are responsible for:
- Overseeing the safety and security of the household in accordance with program guidelines;
- Contributing to the maintenance and (domestic) upkeep of the home;
- Assisting with the care of infants as needed and within the protocols of the program;
- Transporting & accompanying residents to various appointments or to hospital as needed;
- Other duties as assigned by the Program Manager
To maintain a dedicated roster of casual and relief support staff for our program, we accept applications from mature women who have a heart for the population that we serve. Our ideal candidates:
- Have current and relevant experience working with at-risk young women in their mid- teens to early 20’s as well as infants from newborn up to 18mths of age;
- Are available for evening, overnight, and/or weekend shifts;
- Can respond to conflict, crisis and/or emergency situations with maturity, patience, discipline, and confidence;
- Hold a valid driver’s license and satisfactory driving history (10yr abstract required);
- Have excellent English verbal and written communications skills;
- Will pass security screening including vulnerable sector police and child welfare clearance.
This is a home-like environment where support staff work in isolation and with minimal supervision. Under Alberta Employment Standards, the position is classified as Domestic and focuses on the care, comfort, and convenience of the members of the residence. Staff are expected to adhere to professional boundaries while maintaining open communication, compassion and empathy for the young women and babies who call Elizabeth House ‘home’. Between full time day, casual and relief staff, the program offers onsite supervision and support 24hrs/day, 7 days/week, 365 days/year.
- Sleeping accommodations and meals are provided onsite for overnight and weekend shifts;
- Program vehicle is provided for transportation and errands;
- Flexibility in scheduling is offered to meet the individual needs of the Support Staff and the program;
Training is provided within CPR/First Aid, Conflict Resolution and Crisis Intervention.
STRENGTHENING OUR PARISH COMMUNITIES
The Diocese of Calgary fosters “Strengthening Our Parish Communities", a safe environment program. Screening includes a satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Police Information Check and Agreement to the Model Code of Conduct (seehttp://www.calgarydiocese.ca/human-resources/employment-opportunities.html for the entire Model Code of Conduct and the Agreement document)
This competition will remain open until December 3, 2016 or until filled.
Interested persons may apply by quoting CV1913 with your application and submitting a complete Application Package (all 3 items) including:
- Application for Employment downloadable athttp://www.calgarydiocese.ca/human-resources/employment-opportunities.html
Covering letter describing suitability for the position and wage expectation
by one of the following:
Mail to Human Resources, Catholic Pastoral Centre
120 – 17 Ave SW, Calgary, AB T2S 2T2
We thank in advance all applicants for their interest.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.