Program Support Staff
Supportive Housing for Young Mothers
Mount Hope Ave., Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Hours: Part Time, Evenings, weekends, and some weekdays
Background information: SHYM is a program of the YWCA Halifax which provides a safe and supportive living environment for single, vulnerable young mothers (ages 16 to 24) and their children in a 12-unit apartment complex. SHYM also provides programming that helps young moms and their children develop the skills they need to build strong families in a safe, encouraging environment.
We are presently seeking candidates for our Program Support staff positions. Program staff will have experience in providing support in skill development and/or positive parenting and will have experience working with parents and/or at risk youth. In addition, program staff will provide structured, educational, age appropriate child care support while their mothers attend programs or are in need of brief respite. Program staff are also required to do some basic maintenance and cleaning duties.
- Experience working in a supportive role
- Experience working with people from diverse cultural, social and economic backgrounds
- Good communication skills: able to negotiate and enforce policies, provide support and encouragement and accurately maintain written logs
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Certification in Non-violent Crisis Intervention, CPR, and First Aid, ASIST or willingness to obtain these at the start of employment
- Experience caring for infants and young children
- Enthusiasm and affinity for work with young children and their young adult mothers
- Flexible, adaptable, and able to work in an environment that is not always predictable
- Must be able to provide a Child Abuse Registry and Criminal Record check with a Vulnerable Population check upon hiring
- Training and experience in conflict resolution and/or negotiation
- Knowledge of infant and child development and/or parenting
- Experience with program delivery
- Child care experience
- Possession of a driver’s license
- ECE or Child and Youth Degree or Diploma from a recognized Educational institute
Hours of Work: Weekday and Weekend evenings, limited day time shifts
Please forward your cover letter and resume in one document to: OR: Hiring Committee, SHYM, 4 Mount Hope Avenue, Dartmouth, NS B2Y 4K1. Unfortunately, we are not able to provide updates on the status of your application and only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.