Position Title: Building Superintendent
Closing Date: October 21, 2016
YWCA Halifax is seeking an experienced Building Superintendent to join our dynamic and creative housing team.
The Supportive Housing for Young Mothers (SHYM) program supports 5 women and their children, in independent housing, who are either in school or employed. Reporting to the Housing Manager, the Superintendent is part of a team that believes that women have a right to quality, affordable housing and the supports they need to be successful in life.
YWCA Halifax is committed to diversity and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds to apply, including woman-identified trans and queer folks.
Qualifications and Experience
- Must be able to assess all maintenance issues on site and assist in coordinating repairs with the Facility Manager and/or Contractors
- Must have First Aid/CPR and Non Violent Crisis Intervention training.
- Subject to Criminal Records check with Vulnerable Sector search and a Child Abuse Registry search.
- Must have experience working within confidentiality guidelines and maintaining a high degree of professionalism at all times,
- Must be able to set and maintain professional boundaries.
- Must be comfortable working in women and children only building and from a women centered perspective
Essential Duties of Position
- Conduct routine, non-licensed inspections of facilities; does an inspection once a week of all interior and exterior common areas, parking lot, outside grounds, and all entrances.
- Ensure fire protection equipment is properly maintained and up to date.
- Support the coordination of licensed inspections as required
- Support the coordination of major maintenance and repairs under the direction of the Facilities Manager.
- Perform minor repairs, general and preventative maintenance to the building and facilities including carpentry, painting, landscaping, lawn mowing, snow removal and other duties as requested by the Housing Manager.
- May be requested to show units to potential clients and completing both in and out inspections.
- Cleans, performs minor paint jobs and repairs to vacant units for new tenants as necessary.
- Documents and responds to any potential hazards, repairs or concerns as necessary.
- Reports all concerns, questions, safety issues, and deficiencies in building.
- Ensures the building and property are being maintained.
- Identifies, evaluates and reports risks associated with the building, takes appropriate actions to address or alleviate risk, completes incident reports and reports these to Housing Manager
- Ensure that all tenancy regulations are being followed.
- Ensures that building tenants are complying with HRM by laws regarding separating garbage and composting as required.
- Advance the mission and vision of the YWCA Halifax.
- Must be available for emergency and On Call duties.
- Ensures that the building is maintained to meet all safety & fire regulations at all times.
Please forward resume and cover letter by 12 noon Friday October 21, 2016 to:
Krista Dunn - Housing Manager