Dance Umbrella of Ontario (DUO) is a not-for-profit provider of management services to Ontario’s dance enterprises. DUO was founded in 1988 by the Arts Councils to support dance enterprises with their administrative and business activities. In addition to providing a suite of tailored and flexible services, DUO strengthens the dance sector by undertaking new strategic and progressive initiatives.
DUO supports dance artists and enterprises in the creation, production and dissemination of their art. Our typical clientele includes: independent artists, small- and mid-scale organizations based in Ontario. DUO supports dance artists by providing the best and most appropriate administrative and infrastructure allowing them to grow as they focus more fully on their art. We do not guide the artistic product of clients. DUO is committed to diversity in all of its activities and the enterprises it serves. We envision DUO to be the place where new growth in the sector is fostered.
The Senior Bookkeeper will manage all multiple finance clients as well as DUO’s accounts and payroll. The successful candidate will manage the Sage accounting systems and produce financial reports as required. The position manages and executes monthly client billing, invoicing, bank reconciliations, investment funds, banking and client relationships. The Senior Bookkeeper provides support and reports to the Executive Director for all organizational budgets and financial reporting. The position reports directly to the Executive Director working to achieve organizational financial objectives and goals. The position actively seeks out and solicits new clients for DUO. The Senior Bookkeeper provides support to DUO’s managers for all client needs. The candidate will work out of the DUO offices for the full workweek.
Duties and Responsibilities
Your duties and responsibilities shall include such duties and responsibilities as DUO may from time to time request you to perform. You shall report to DUO's Executive Director. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, your duties may be described as follows:
- Work directly with the Executive Director to execute all plans of action, based on the goals and objectives laid out in DUO's business plan.
- Recording of all Accounts Payable and Receivable, Disbursements, Revenue, payroll and other financial transactions and/or the monitoring and reconciliation of those transactions made by DUO’s staff and those DUO clients who purchase our accounting services.
- Administers the DUO payroll and benefits programs
- Providing monthly financial statements of bookkeeping records of DUO and of those DUO clients who purchase our accounting services.
- Execute the delivery of bank deposits regularly and of those clients who purchase our accounting services.
- Monthly invoicing to DUO’s clients, contact with those clients by letter, facsimile, or telephone regarding status of their accounts and collection of overdue accounts, in accordance with DUO’s policies and instructions. Monitoring of DUO’s and DUO clients’ cash flow and investments to facilitate the best and most secure return of interest revenue, in accordance with DUO’s policies and instructions.
- Ad hoc investigation, calculations, analyses or reports on financially related subjects on behalf of DUO.
- Preparations of audit working papers and assistance to DUO’s auditor in locating and summarizing financial documentation,
- Preparations of audit working papers and assistance to those clients’ auditor in locating and summarizing financial documentation.
- Assisting the preparation of DUO’s financial reporting documents to any /all funding agencies/government bodies.
- Assisting the preparation of DUO’s clients’ financial reporting to any/all funding agencies/government bodies.
- Sales and petty cash reconciliation.
- Prepares HST/GST rebate claims
- Filing of Government reports and documents for DUO and clients as needed
- Experience with Sage accounting program and other accounting software is an asset
- Five years experience managing multiple clients
- A strong understanding of accounting principles, budgeting and financial reporting
- Working experience with government funding and reporting
- Strong interpersonal skills and able to mange dance artists and dance companies
- An ability to set and balance priorities, manage time wisely, and meet deadlines
- Working knowledge of dance and the performing arts is an asset
- A working knowledge of the technical aspects of dance production
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent attention to detail and deadline orientation
- An understanding of the principles of not-for-profit and charitable organizations
- Computer literacy, particularly in Word and Excel in a PC environment
- Working knowledge of Toggl is considered an asset
The ideal candidate is a highly motivated individual, with an experience in the non-profit sector. The candidate should have a Bachelor's degree in finance or accounting, or equivalent business experience and 5+ years of progressively responsible experience.
- Mature, and experienced in accounting processes, including, budgets, bank and general ledger account reconciliations, consolidations, payroll and preparation of timely financial reports
- Excellent computer and typing skills and knowledge of software programs a must – Word, Excel, and Sage Accounting.
- Post-secondary education (college or university).
- Minimum 5 years experience in a responsible, financial position.
|How to Apply:
Please mention you saw this posting on WorkInNonProfits.ca.
Please submit your resume, cover letter and 3 references to;
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Those selected will be contacted within one week of the submission deadline. No phone calls, please.
Deadline to submit applications is 5pm on October 19, 2016
Dance Umbrella of Ontario
Toronto, ON, M4X 1P2