PeaceGeeks collaborates with grassroots changemakers to make them more effective and impactful in advancing peace and human rights.
We see a world where everyone can leverage technology to make peace and human rights a lived reality.
The Digital Outreach & Events Intern contributes to the overall digital and community engagement strategy of PeaceGeeks. The Digital Outreach & Events Intern will strategize, coordinate and oversee the PeaceGeeks’ digital media team. This individual will have a key role in the research and production of written content for PeaceGeeks’ social media platforms. This position will be integral in developing brand awareness, which is an overall strategic objective for PeaceGeeks as we grow as an organization.
The position would be best suited to an individual who possesses a keen interest in global issues, current events, trending topics that relate to development and peacebuilding. Most importantly, this position requires experience with and an interest for social media, digital communications and an innate ability to market content online. This intern will have the option of working from our office in Gastown and from home, based on organizational needs.
The Digital Outreach & Events Intern will report to PeaceGeeks’ Executive Director, and will also work closely with the Website Development Lead, Digital Communications Lead, and Content Team Lead.
BASIC ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
Participating youth must:
- be between the ages of 15 and 30 at the time of intake;
- have demonstrated skills achievement at the post-secondary level (this means that you must have more than secondary school achievement);
- intend to gain ICT skills and knowledge;
- meet the job requirements of the IHO, which should included stated ICT-related activities;
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or person who has been granted refugee status in Canada and be legally entitled to work in Canada; and
- must not be in receipt of Employment Insurance (EI) benefits.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES & TASKS
- Conduct research on digital content to be published on social media platforms, ensuring PeaceGeeks feeds are consistently updated and active
- Assist with the maintenance of PeaceGeek’s Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google AdWords account
- Use Periscope for live streaming PeaceGeeks public events
- Assist in technical creation and maintenance of content on social media websites
- Coordinate social media activities on online platforms with Marketing Lead in order to ensure alignment with the overall marketing strategies
- Assist with the development of content for the PeaceGeeks website
- Assist with the development of PeaceGeeks materials for external parties (i.e. blog or newsletter contributions)
- Maintain communication with PeaceGeeks and external parties (partnered organizations, international teams)
- Monitor PeaceGeeks initiatives on social media
- Analyze writing contexts, identify target audiences, and develop reliable strategies to create engaging and purposeful writing
- Assist with event planning and outreach
- Assist the execution of PeaceGeeks’ Corporate Outreach strategy
- Support the development of videos about PeaceGeeks
- Support the development of templated digital strategies future fundraising campaigns
- Completed or working towards Bachelor’s degree or diploma in communications, public relations, marketing, or equivalent experience
- Minimum of 1-2 years of experience in a social media or marketing capacity
- Self-starter who can think creatively and execute new ideas
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to create professional marketing content (web, print, blogs, etc.) on international issues
- Ability to support and lead the planning of public events;
- An interest in fundraising is also considered an asset
- Gaining practical experience working on projects with multinational teams
- Learning about relevant international issues that we work on
- Making an impactful contribution to peacebuilding work in developing, non-democratic and conflict-affected areas
- Collaborating and networking with an amazing group of volunteers
HOURS: Full-time (35 hours/week)
INTERNSHIP DURATION: 650 hrs
Internship provided via the Vancouver Community Network Youth Internship Program and funded by Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada (ISED), administered by Industry Canada.