Ray-Cam Cooperative Centre is a Downtown Eastside Community Centre that serves families and children from a diverse low-income neighbourhood. We are looking for a technology intern with solid computer skills (including Office, Windows etc), an interest in helping individuals with their technology needs and in using technology to help build community engagement. Successful applicants will have some technology training in IT or related experience, good communication skills and the ability to provide support in a non-judgmental and compassionate manner.
BASIC ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
Participating youth must:
- be between the ages of 15 and 30 at the time of intake;
- have demonstrated skills achievement at the post-secondary level (this means that you must have more than secondary school achievement);
- intend to gain ICT skills and knowledge;
- meet the job requirements of the IHO, which should included stated ICT-related activities;
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or person who has been granted refugee status in Canada and be legally entitled to work in Canada; and
- must not be in receipt of Employment Insurance (EI) benefits.
Note: Youth Intern selected must pass a criminal record check, however under certain circumstances a criminal record does not preclude employment.
- Education and support for multi-barriered computer users in our computer lab including drop-in help times for adults
- Routine computer maintenance of 20+ PCs and laptops for public use
- Upgrading computers as needed
- Assistance with social media outreach strategies for Raycam, affiliated Raycam projects and community partners
- Assistance with website content for Raycam.com and affiliated projects
- Desktop publishing projects (flyers, brochures etc) as needed
- Assistance or development of other technology related projects as needed.
- Troubleshooting computer issues and performing computer maintenance
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office and internet technologies
- Ability to explain technical concepts and teach basic computer skills to RayCam clients
- Comfortable working with people facing various barriers; interest in community issues or nonprofit sector
- Professional and supportive attitude
HOURS: 35 hrs/week
INTERNSHIP DURATION: 650 hours
Internship provided via the Vancouver Community Network Youth Internships program and funded by Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada (ISED), administered by Industry Canada.