Disability Services Worker – Temp Full time (1 yr mat leave)
The Disability Services Worker (DSW) in Bonnyville, Alberta, goes beyond providing care to persons with developmental disabilities. They facilitate and develop programs to encourage the clients to learn and become more responsible for their own self-care. To work towards client self-care goals, the Disability Service Worker provides physical, behavioural, emotional and social supports/supervision both in the residence and the community. Works under supervision of the Team Leader.
The Disability Services Worker:
- Assist and support individuals to develop and achieve personal goals.
- Respect the rights of individuals to choose and make decisions regarding activities and programming.
- Support/supervise each individual’s physical, behavioural, emotional and social needs/development within the residence and during activities within the community.
- Help to connect individuals with their family and community.
- Transport the person(s) in care to and participate in vocational, recreational, leisure activities
- Assist with day to day operation and maintenance of the residence/program facility (May include meal prep, cleaning, and/or assisting the person in service with the completion of these tasks, etc.)
- Observe/document physical, developmental and psychological needs of the persons in care.
As an individual passionate about changing lives for the better through hard work, personal caring and good ideas, you’ll find hundreds of kindred spirits at WJS offices across Western Canada and Ontario. Every day, more than 600 WJS Canada staff serve over 1,000 people in three provinces. For over 30 years, we’ve been committed to building strong communities by providing a complete range of innovative and effective professional services to children, youth, adults and families facing difficulties. Visit www.wjscanada.com for more information on WJS and details on the benefits employees enjoy.
**All applicants must provide a current (within 3 months) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check prior to confirmation of employment with WJS Canada. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, prepare accordingly.
The successful applicant must possess:
- Minimum Grade 12 with at least 1 year recent experience working with persons with developmental disabilities.
- Prefer Certificate or Diploma: Personal Support Worker, Disabilities, Social Work, Special Education, Health Care Aide, etc.
- Must have valid class 5 driver license with clear driving abstract and reliable vehicle
- First Aid/CPR Certification
- Abuse Protocol, Medication Administration, Proactive Procedures and Behavioural Strategies, Crisis Prevention Intervention Foundations and Disabilities Training
- Clear Criminal Record Check and Child Intervention Check
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Team player, capable of working without direct supervision; Calm, confident and capable to function in a crisis
- Patient; motivates others and is a positive role model.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to lift and transfer.
- Ability to meet the requirements of Service Agreement of individual(s) in service
- Temp FT (1 year mat leave coverage)
- Mainly day shift; but some evening & weekends shifts required