WJS Canada is currently looking for three (3) individuals to join the Our Place team in Vancouver, as Casual Residence Workers (with Overnight Awake scheduling included).
Job Reference #OP225-RWC
As an individual passionate about changing lives for the better through hard work, personal caring and good ideas, you’ll find hundreds of kindred spirits at WJS offices across Western Canada and Ontario.
For over 30 years, WJS Canada has worked within our communities as a trusted provider of services to children, youth, adults and families facing difficulties. We’re the only national private service agency in Canada. Our employees are our owners.
Every day, more than 600 WJS Canada staff serve over 1,000 people in three provinces. We’re committed to building strong communities by providing a complete range of innovative and effective professional services. We lead and manage partnerships with governments and consultants, families and community organizations.
The Overnight Awake Residence Worker will be alone during the overnight hours and must feel comfortable working alone. The position attends to the health, well-being, safety and security of residents and the program site at night, and provides general, non-specific services to clients as required. Maintains a comfortable and clean living environment.
Under the supervision of the program manager and/or other senior staff, the Residence Worker is responsible for providing general, non-specific client services. The position ensures physical, emotional, social, educational and medical needs are met. Assists clients to enhance quality of life, with activities of daily living and the development of life skills. Provides behavioral support and supervision in the program and community, implements and monitors individual program plans through observation and accurate reporting and participates in operating and maintaining the program. This position requires union membership with CUPE.
**All applicants must provide a current (within 3 months) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check prior to confirmation of employment with WJS Canada. As these checks can often take 1-6 weeks to obtain, it is recommended that applicants prepare accordingly.
The successful applicant must possess:
- A degree in one of the humanities, social work or related field. Other combinations of education and experience may be considered.
- Previous experience with operating a licensed home, trauma informed practice, ABA
- Valid CPR/First Aid, WHMIS, and Food Hygiene and Sanitation certificates
- Valid BC Driver’s License and clean driver’s abstract
- Non-Violent Physical Crisis Intervention Certificate and Conflict Resolution Certificate
- Clear TB Screening, physician’s note and current immunization record
- At least one year experience working with complex health care and differently able adults.
- At least one year experience working with individuals in a residential or vocational setting.
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to work within a multi-disciplinary team environment
- Ability to develop and maintain good relationships with family members, social workers and other stakeholders
- Ability to perform all direct care and personal care
- Experience working with challenging behavior
- Ability to manage crisis situations effectively and work independently
- Ability to participate in and/or lead goal planning, ISP, Plan of Care
- Demonstrated skills in designing and implementing individual program plans
- Good organizational and administrative skills
- Excellent writing skills/computer skills (i.e. Word, Excel and Email)
- Excellent oral communication skills.
- Three (3) casual positions available
- Overnight Awake Residence Worker, Grid Level 6 ($14.50 - $16.89) and Residence Worker, Grid Level 10 ($16.33 - $19.01)
- All applicants must be available for a variety of shifts that include weekdays, weekends, evening and awake overnight shifts that could include scheduling of 0700-1500, 1900-2400 and 0000-0800
- Casual shifts will cover vacation, sick time and extra staffing requirements, as needed
Deadline for applications is October 31st, 2016.