Job Position: Activity Coordinator
Department: Health Services
Status: 35 hrs per week (1 year contract position, with the possibility of an extension)
Location: Mississauga & Brampton
Compensation: Starting at $19.00/hour
India Rainbow Community Services of Peel (IRCS) is a charitable, non-profit, community based organization. Our services are non-religious and non-political. Our mission is to provide culturally and linguistically appropriate services to the Peel immigrant community, enabling integration and supporting their settlement, social services, health, and educational needs.
Under the general guidance of the Program Lead, the incumbent will assist in the planning, co-ordination, implementation and recording functions for the Adult Day Program and shall demonstrate skills that reflect the organization’s ethics, integrity and excellence standards in promoting a client centered philosophy.
Responsibilities and Duties: (but not limited to)
* Assist in the planning and deliver culturally sensitive, language specific activities for frail, elderly and/or cognitively impaired program participants.
* Orientate new Adult Day Program participants.
* Develop, review and update individual care plans for program participants.
* Establish goals and interventions based on program participant’s emerging needs.
* Ensure that activities are based upon identified goals, interests, capabilities and are in line with individual care plans.
* Manage assigned caseload; Ensure participants’ needs including changing needs are effectively managed.
* Assist Program Lead with the quarterly planning for the Adult Day Program.
* Input and maintain patient information in database, document progress notes, care plans and quarterly reviews of program participants.
* Support and assist the ADP team in identifying and addressing participant’s care needs in a timely manner.
* Liaise with the health service providers/committees within the community to improve program delivery and referrals (e.g. CCAC, local hospitals, Red Cross, TransHelp, Community Rehab and family physicians).
* Ensure effective communication with all program participants, caregivers, staff, student placements and volunteers.
* Ensure the safety and security of program participants at all times and conduct security reassurance checks.
* Coordinate caregiver support groups for the families of the Day Program participants.
* Conduct Senior Wellness Programs (if designated).
* Coordinate Foot Care Services for program participants (if designated).
* Evaluate the effectiveness of the program and participant satisfaction through satisfaction surveys.
* Assist with conducting overall service evaluations.
* Prepare and submit statistical and progress reports as required.
* Train and supervise volunteers and student placements.
* Purchase program supplies as needed.
* Participate in staff and team meetings, and professional development opportunities as required.
* Adopt safe work practices, reporting unsafe conditions immediately.
* Perform other duties as required.
Qualifications and Skills:
* Post-secondary education in Recreational Therapy, Gerontology, Social Work, and/or a Health related field with gerontology focus.
* Demonstrated experience and skills in working with the frail, elderly and/or cognitively impaired.
* Experience with activation techniques with the ability to continually motivate program participants.
* Must have experience in program planning, case management and documentation.
* Knowledge of a broad range of social, health and community services available in the GTA.
* Demonstrated organizational and interpersonal skills.
* Self-directed, self-motivated with a positive attitude and be able to work independently and as part of a team.
* Ability to prioritize, multi-task and adjust to shifting priorities.
* Excellent oral and written English skills are required and one or more South Asian language.
* Advanced proficiency in MS Office, Email and internet applications.
* Sensitivity to people from different socio-economic backgrounds with an equity lens.
* Ability to work flexible hours including evenings, weekends and to work from any IRCS work-site.
* Current CPR and First Aid certification.
* Valid driver's license and access to a reliable vehicle.
* A Police Vulnerable Sector Check will be required.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application, including a complete resume of qualifications and experience, electronically to by 12:00pm, October 26, 2016. Please ensure your application email has the subject heading of ‘Activity Coordinator - (insert your name)’
This job posting is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
India Rainbow Community Services of Peel is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to establishing a qualified workforce that is reflective of the diverse populations we serve. We are committed to accommodating people with disabilities as part of our hiring process. If you have special requirements, please advise Human Resources during the recruitment process. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals; however, only those under consideration will be contacted. No phone calls please.