Reports to: Treasurer
Start date: November 2016
ABOUT THE EDMONTON BICYCLE COMMUTERS SOCIETY
Learn how to fix your bike and ride in traffic. Buy a refurbished bike, or donate a disused one. Meet other cyclists, and help us advocate for a bike-friendly city.
Whether you ride a few times a week, 265 bike-friendly days a year, or year-round, the Edmonton Bicycle Commuters Society (EBC) gives you the tools you need to enjoy cycling. Established as a non-profit society in 1980, EBC operates two volunteer-run community bike workshops, provides training for children, youth and adults, hosts events during Bike Month and all year-round, and represents Edmonton cyclists at City Hall.
We work with children, youth and adults to make cycling accessible for everyone, because we believe that making Edmonton better for bicycling improves our city’s quality of life.
EBC is seeking an independent contractor to provide the Society with bookkeeping services commencing November 2016.
Edmonton Bicycle Commuters is a registered non-profit society with approximately 1300 members. Annual revenues that are sourced from sales of bicycles and parts, donations, grants, and AGLC Casino are over $250,000. Payments are received in the form of cash, cheque, Square and PAYD (debit and credit). Approximately three to five paid staff are responsible to administer two community bicycle shops, special programming and community relations and are assisted by dozens of volunteers. Payroll is managed through Nethris and books are currently kept using Simply Accounting. Payments to suppliers and contractors are made using electronic funds transfer (EFT) wherever possible. EBC is applying to the CRA for Charitable Status.
- Recording of all financial transactions in SAGE.
- Maintain files of supporting documentation (electronic preferred).
- Monthly balance sheet and comparative income statement (MTD and YTD actual vs. budget) together with Executive summary.
- Process biweekly payroll through Nethris.
- Prepare and input online EFT payments using the Servus CAFT system for approval by EBC authorized signing officers twice monthly; prepare report for cheques to be issued twice monthly. Total ~ 25 transactions.
- Reconcile payments received electronically, specifically PayPal, Square, Stripe and Moneris. Ensure funds are credited to correct account.
- Bank statement monthly reconciliation (for 3 bank accounts). Online access will be provided.
- Employee payroll and related tasks (T4, ROE, etc.).
- Prepare and file GST returns.
- Accounting designation or relevant bookkeeping experience with not-for-profit and charitable organizations.
- Experienced with accounting software and Google programs. Training for specific programs will be available through EBC Treasurer and Executive Director mentorship.
- Based in Edmonton or surrounding area.
- Familiarity with EBC programs and services is an asset.
Please provide a submission with your qualifications, experience and any other information you feel is pertinent. Please include a separate quotation for additional periodic services, including:
- Preparation and submission of Alberta Gaming & Liquor Commission (AGLC) report.
- Provide specific financial information for grant applications.
- Prepare and submit annual Workers Compensation Board (WCB) report.
- Support documenting annual budget including attending one board meeting per year.
- Attendance at additional board meetings (at board request).
Submissions may be sent to .
This posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.