Between Friends is hiring!
Position: Community Development Lead
Between Friends is a charitable organization dedicated to providing quality social, recreation and self-development opportunities for people with disabilities to connect, grow and belong.
Do you have an interest in working with people with disabilities?
Do you value inclusive recreation and building social skills?
Are you looking for a rewarding career?
Benefits to Working for Between Friends
- Between Friends offers a fun and challenging work environment.
- Health and Dental Benefits are provided on a shared cost basis after successful completion of probation period
- Professional Development opportunities are available and encouraged
- Strong promotion of work-life balance
- Strong team environment
Reporting to the Program Manager, the Community Development Lead is accountable for:
- Evaluating, overseeing and ensuring the development of community-based, inclusive recreation and leisure activities & services within Calgary;
- Supervising four Community Engagement Coordinators, developing the community’s capacity to include people with disabilities through education opportunities and consulting services.
Community Development Lead roles and responsibilities include:
- Identifying and cultivating relationships with a variety of community recreation providers to further achieve the mission and vision of Between Friends.
- Participating in agency and program promotion opportunities.
- Assisting with the development and monitoring of the I.C.A.N! (Inclusive Community Activities with No barriers) annual program budget and report on any variances during the re-forecast process.
- Ensure inclusion services are evaluated and outcomes & satisfaction are reported to management and to funders in order to meet contractual requirements.
- Collaborating with the membership team to advocate with and for our members to meet their needs for successful community inclusion.
Between Friends is an equal opportunity employer. Between Friends thoroughly screens all applicants initially and on an on-going basis.
- Post-Secondary Education in Community Development, Disability Studies, Social Work, Community Rehabilitation or a related field;
- Two (2) – four (4) years of experience in community-based outreach required
- Experience in directly providing behavior strategies for people with disabilities;
- Equivalent combinations of education and experience may be considered;
- Ability to engage, mobilize, organize and empower community stakeholders;
- Collect and utilize statistics, consumer input, research and reports to develop and implement programming in new areas;
- The ability to work well independently on several projects concurrently, and possess excellent communication, organizational, and presentation skills;
- Software proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and Power Point, is required;
- Experience in delivery of staff & volunteer training;
- Self-starter with extraordinary drive, energy and initiative;
- Flexible, pleasant persona coupled with sound judgment; discreet & sensitive with knowledge of correct protocol for specific situations and able to maintain confidential information;
- Must complete and be clear of a Criminal Record Check and Child Welfare Clearance Check
- Current First Aid & CPR Level C, certified;
- Valid Driver’s License and use of own vehicle is required.
Skills and Personal Characteristics include:
- Charismatic personality possessing the confidence and openness to quickly build rapport and trust with community members;
- Solid understanding of how to work with people from diverse backgrounds;
- Friendly, patient and inclusive;
- Team player, willing to assist in a variety of responsibilities to achieve the team’s desired goals;
- Persistent and dedicated to helping meet the needs of stakeholders.
Start Date December 5 2016
Salary Range Please provide Salary Expectations in Cover Letter
Work Location Between Friends Main Office 205 8989 Macleod Trail S
Hours of Work Monday – Friday, 8:30–4:30 or 1:00–9:00 pm *some requirements for evening and weekend availability.
Position posting end date: October 28 4:00 pm MST
How To Apply
Please submit a resume and cover letter stating:
- your salary expectations and;
- the title of the position you are applying for in the subject line of your cover letter.
Submit your applications to the following:
Attn: Katie Fipke , Program Manager
We appreciate all applications, but only those being considered will be contacted. No phone calls please.