FASD Specific Job Developer
Fleetwood Guildford Employment Service Centre
Term Full Time (to March 31, 2017)
Pacific Community Resources Society has been given the opportunity to embark on a brief (5 month) pilot project to explore best practices in connecting individuals with FASD and similar Neurodevelopmental Disorders to employment. The team will be comprised of a Facilitator, a Job Developer and the agency’s FASD specialist.
The FASD Specific Job Developer will work with youth and young adults who are diagnosed with FASD or a similar Neurodevelopmental disorder to make connections with community employers to find and support suitable employment placements. The FASD Specific Job Developer will work closely with the individual, the FASD Specific Facilitator, and the FASD consultant to create a customized employment opportunity. This position requires an understanding of FASD/Neurodevelopmental Disorders, and an interest in learning more about how the disability interacts with employment success. The successful candidate will have strong marketing and relationship building skills along with a solid knowledge of job development strategies. The Job Developer is service centred, culturally competent and adaptable to working in a variety of settings with a diverse employer and unique client base. The Job Developer is positive and has a professional manner that encourages participants and employers to feel confident and supported. Primary responsibilities outlined below is the core work, adaptability to meeting other service needs as they emerge is required. Current PCRS staffs are encouraged to apply and will have an option to return to their current position when the term is completed.
- Work with the team to understand the individual’s unique employment needs
- Develop relationships with employers specific to the unique needs of the participant
- Work with employers, and the consultant, to expand their understanding of FASD and how this interacts with employment
- Secure suitable employment placements for individuals
- Provide a broad range of supports, to the employer and the individual, to facilitate a successful employment outcome
- Attend work with the individual to support employment success with the goal to gradually decline involvement
- Provide ongoing follow-up and support to both the employer and individual
- Participate in reporting expectations
- Attend and participate in staff meetings/case conferences with colleagues.
- Research community resources and provide information to participants and team.
- Understand and apply PCRS’ policies and procedures and attend PCRS sponsored events as operationally feasible.
Academic and Job Experience Required:
- A. in a related field or Diploma plus 2 years’ experience working in an employment program setting
- Familiarity in working with individuals with brain-based disabilities
- Career Development Practitioner Certification
- Job Developer Certification
- Criminal Records Check including the vulnerable sector
- Class 5 Driver’s License with Business Use Insurance and Driver’s Abstract
- Standard First Aid
- Basic Computer Skills
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Knowledge of: job placement and/or recruiting experience; marketing and promotional techniques; working with and promoting diverse populations, in particular, persons with multiple barriers to employment; local and regional labour market and economic conditions; government and community service providers
- Knowledge of and interest in working with individuals with FASD/Neurodevelopmental disorders
- Transtheoretical Model of Change training
- Career Development Practitioner training
- Motivational Interviewing training
- Solution Focused One-to-One training
- Life Skills training
- Addictions Counselling training
- One-to-One Coaching
- Information gathering, excellent organization/time management skills
Closing Date: Close of business (4:30 pm) on October 28, 2016
Please quote “FASD Job Developer – Surrey” on your cover letter
and in the subject line of emails.
Resumes without cover letters will not be accepted.
Only those qualified for an interview will be contacted.