Springboard's mandate is to build stronger communities by helping youth and adults develop the skills they need to reach their full potential. As a charitable organization, we deliver innovative, professional and diverse programming by establishing partnerships between our clients and their community. Springboard’s program areas include community justice, employment and developmental services.
Internal/ External Posting
Position Title: Residential COUNSELLOR
Department: Developmental Services – Residential Program
Location: North Beaches Residence - Toronto, Ontario
Status: 2 x Part-Time Contract for six (6) months
Vacancy Number: RCS-U16-65
Available: November 1st, 2016
Hours/Shifts: Minimum of 32 hours bi-weekly
Must be available to work 0000-0800hr shifts Monday – Friday
Must have flexibility to work days, evenings, nights, weekdays and weekends
Schedules are subject to change to meet departmental needs
The Residential Program at Operation Springboard provides a home and life skills training to men with developmental disabilities, 18 years of age and older. The position encompasses the primary functions of shift coverage, client supervision, support, ongoing life skills training, safety and security, crisis management, administrative and clerical duties. The position involves shift work which entails 7 day, 24 hour coverage.
- Life skills Facilitation – create, implement and evaluate programming related to supporting individuals with developmental disabilities or dual diagnosis to learn skills to live more independently.
- Community Support – support individuals in accessing supports in community such as medical appointments and/or social activities.
- Conflict Management – Manage challenging behaviors of individuals, including offering support and suggestions on how to support.
- Job Coaching – provide onsite and offsite direct support in work and/or volunteer opportunities.
- Residential Support – provide daily support and motivation in researching individual goals including one to one support/programming and counseling to assist with specific goals.
- Administrative Duties– complete required documentation as per organizational and Ministry standards and help contribute to the security and safety of individuals and the staff team.
- Collaboration – works effectively with colleagues in supporting client service needs.
- Deal with crisis situations that may involve volatile behavior.
- Post Secondary diploma/degree in the social service field
- Minimum two (2) years of direct experience working with individuals with developmental disabilities or dual diagnosis
- Minimum two (2) years experience in the development, teaching and monitoring of skills building programming
- Demonstrated computer knowledge and use of multimedia teaching tools, including Smartboard. Skills testing/demonstration may be required.
- Excellent interpersonal and conflict resolution skills including managing challenging client behaviours.
- Ability to work with a diverse group and advocate on their behalf when necessary.
- Valid First Aid, CPR and CPI certificates.
- Demonstrated use of core competencies in:
- Flexibility - explore various options around problem solving and managing difficult situations.
- Service Delivery Judgment – understand the program processes; think through when to make process changes and come up with ideas that improve service delivery
Posting Date: October 18th – October 25th, 2016
To be considered for employment at Springboard, applicants must be willing to undergo a police clearance/VSS and provide both references and documentation of their credentials. Please apply on line with resume and cover letter.
To be considered you must include the vacancy number in the subject line of your email while applying.
Deadline for internal applicants: October 25th, 2016 at 4:00 p.m. Please provide a Resume and a duly completed Application for Internal Transfer form.
Deadline for external applicants: October 25th, 2016 at 4:00 p.m.
Resumes received after the above-stated deadline/s will be considered at the discretion of the hiring supervisor.
No phone calls please. Only persons selected for an interview will be contacted. Thank you for applying.
Springboard is committed to employment equity and fair and accessible employment practices. Applications are encouraged from those who reflect the diversity of our community. Accommodations will be provided for job applicant with disabilities, where needed and on request, to support their participation in all aspects of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the bona-fide requirements for the vacant position.