The John Howard Society of the Lower Mainland of BC promotes a safe and peaceful community through effective, humane criminal and social justice programs. Our vision is "Improving Lives, One Person at a Time." Please visit our website for further information www.jhslmbc.ca.
Casual Community Support Worker vacancies are now available in Abbotsford.
Assists clients living semi independently with their physical, economic, vocational, recreational, social, emotional and daily life skills development. Assists clients to achieve the greatest degree of independence and quality of life possible.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Participates in the assessment, goal setting and program planning such as (personal Service Plans) for individuals living semi independently. Documents and implements the plan and provides input into the evaluation of the program.
- Evaluates clients needs and develops short termplansto meet such needs with the active participation of clients and their families.
- Assists clients to function more independently in their own homes and in the community. Assists clients with daily life skills, social skills and/or behaviour management. Teaches and assists clients with activities such as grooming, basic cooking, money management, shopping, household safety and pet care. Facilitates physical, recreational, educational, social and vocational activities.
- Recognizes, analyzes and deals with potential emergency situations such as clients' aggressive behaviour to minimize potential harm and to ensure no harm comes to the clients and/or the public. Reports problems to the supervisor.
- Administers medication to clients in accordance with establish policy.
- Ensures health and safety standards are maintained.
- Reviews and evaluates clients' progress and makes adjustments to programs as required. Provides feedback and support to clients and/or their families.
- Accompanies and/or transports clients to activities such as appointments, shopping or leisure activities.
- Provides/maintains either written and/or verbal reports regarding clients' daily activities and progress. Ensures that all required documentation is complete and accurate.
- Identifies social, economic, recreational, physical, vocational and educational services in the community that will meet clients' needs. Maintains liaison with other agencies, professionals, government officials and the community.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Graduate with a Diploma or Certificate in the Behavioural Sciences
- Training and Experience - One (1) year recent related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
- Demonstrate a clear ability to respond to a crisis situation
- Proven Leadership Ability and experience working in a team environment.
- Have an understanding of supporting persons with a developmental disability
- Excellent oral, written, facilitation and interpersonal communications skills
- Possess a class 5 drivers license
- Possess certifications in first aid, food safe, non-violent crisis intervention and/or Mandt
- Candidate must successfully pass a Criminal Record Check and British Columbia Vulnerable Persons Clearance
- Experience and/or a general understanding of supporting individuals with FASD
- Bonafide job requirement: female applicants only due to nature of resource
Please submit a detailed cover letter and resume with the subject line "Community Support Worker" to . The John Howard Society thanks all applicants for their interest in this opportunity, however only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
|How to Apply:
Please mention you saw this posting on WorkInNonProfits.ca.
Please submit a detailed cover letter and resume with the subject line "Community Support Worker" to .
John Howard Society of the Lower Mainland of BC
Vancouver, BC, V5V3C2