The Mustard Seed’s Mission is to build hope and wellbeing for our most vulnerable citizens through Jesus’ love.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the Chief Financial and Administration Officer will be a strategic thought partner who will provide technical and professional advice to the Board of Directors, relevant Board Committees and senior executive team of The Mustard Seed. This is a tremendous opportunity for a finance and operations leader to maximize and strengthen the internal capacity of a well-respected, high-impact organization.
The CFAO has overall accountability for strategic direction of the organization’s financial integrity through the analysis of financial performance and will also lead and develop the internal teams supporting Human Resources, Information Technology, Facilities and Finance. The CFAO is a hands-on leader responsible for auditing and overseeing all financial processes, the delivery of timely and accurate financial statements, and leading these functions in a manner consistent with the mission and vision of the organization.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Corporate Leadership Strategy
- Be a spiritual leader for The Mustard Seed to ensure a Christ-centred culture.
- Oversees financial strategies and activities including financing, investment, asset management, and banking relationships. As required, the CFAO reviews the progress made on all strategic initiative, analyzes shortcomings and modifies the plans accordingly. Ensures the strategic plan is revisited on an annual basis.
- Oversees the Human Resources strategies and HR management programs that cover all elements of staffing learning & development, health & safety, labour standards & employee relations and the organizational culture.
- Provides executive direction to The Mustard Seed’s Information Technology function, developing and implementing strategic initiatives to support the effective selection and deployment of technology in the Mustard Seed’s operations and assisting the organization in delivering a high level of service and support to staff, volunteers and visitors.
- Contribute to the project management of the new financial ERP software system (FinancialForce) with input into the design and testing phases and strategically guide the successful implementation.
- Oversee property assets including all leases, contracts and other financial commitments, insurance obligations and other corporate assets throughout Alberta necessary for effective operations.
- Oversee the facility management practices, requirements and contractual obligations as well as leading the care and operations of the Calgary facilities teams.
- Financial Leadership and Counsel
- Under the general direction of the CEO, the CFAO leads The Mustard Seed’s strategic planning process and prepares annual business plans, operating and capital budgets that will meet or exceed the organization’s financial performance goals.
- Develop and maintain timely and accurate financial statements and reports that are appropriate for the users and in accordance with current audit and accounting standards for not-for-profit organizations and responsible to accurately prepare and submit reporting for federal, provincial and municipal funders. Establishes and maintains appropriate internal checks and controls to ensure the accuracy of information and the existence of appropriate safeguards to protect the organization’s assets and cash flow adhering to audit standards.
- Develops and utilizes forward-looking, predictive models and activity-based financial analyses to provide insight into the organization’s operations and business plans.
- Establish policies and guidelines for budget and forecast preparation, and assist business leaders with the preparation of annual budgets as well as for funding applications.
- Responsible for ensuring the ongoing development and execution of a comprehensive enterprise risk management program that that thoroughly examines, analyzes, and quantifies the short and long-term risks that the organization must manage effectively in order to grow its top and bottom lines.
- Ensures legal and regulatory compliance regarding all financial functions.
Organization, Management & Leadership of Staff
- Effectively leads the teams to deliver results and holds direct reports and their teams accountable for performance and delivery of objectives. Provides strong leadership and acts as a mentor and coach to all divisional staff by motivating, educating and supporting these teams to deliver high quality services.
- Delegates effectively and monitors the team to ensure they have the skills and resources to meet deadlines and commitments.
- Champions best practices, creative thinking, effective planning, and timely decision making.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- A personal relationship with Jesus Christ and active in the faith community is essential at the executive level to lead the ministry of The Mustard Seed.
- An undergraduate degree supplemented by an accounting designation (CPA, CA, CGA). Strong financial analysis skills are critical with at least 10 years of relevant financial leadership experience at an executive level is required. Preference will be given to candidates with experience in the not for profit sector, including sophisticated fund and grant accounting, compliance, and reporting.
- This role requires 5 years or more of people leadership experience supported by strong financial discipline, overall business acumen and strong team building skills. Proficiency and prior experience with ERP software or financial management systems is essential. Experience with the implementation of an ERP system would be an asset.
- This role will be expected to have strong relationship skills, excellent written and verbal communication skills, leadership and negotiation skills combined with diplomacy to collaborate with and influence leadership and the relevant agency-wide stakeholders.
- Analysis/Problem Solving skills to analyze the business and revise processes align resources to strengthen policy. Strong knowledge of business analytical practices and methodologies required.
- Organizational skills and high-level capacity to oversee functions from an executive level while concurrently working at a transactional level to review, edit and produce regularly financial reporting requirements.
- Office environment
- Prolonged computer use
- Sitting, standing, walking
- Minimal physical effort
- Moderate to extreme mental effort especially during periods of heightened work load and tight deadlines, as in audits, budget preparation and fiscal year end
- Employment Security Check is required
- As The Mustard Seed is a Christian ministry, we require our employees to be in agreement and to sign our statement of faith
- The Mustard Seed embraces the concept of employment equity, which includes fair representation, anti-discrimination and reasonable accommodation.
- Must have legal authorization to work in Canada on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer
Start date: Immediate
This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
Please forward cover letter and resume to indicating the position title in the subject line.
The Mustard Seed offers a competitive compensation package including 100% employer paid extended health and dental benefits for staff and dependents, matching RRSP after one year of service, and flex days.