Disability Support Worker – Full time
We are currently recruiting a Complex Needs Disability Services Worker (CDSW) in Bonnyville, Alberta, to support three individuals with complex mental health needs and developmental disabilities. As a team, staff will provide moderate - high level support to the persons in care in order to ensure that they live a full life. This position reports to the Team Leader.
As an individual passionate about changing lives for the better through hard work, personal caring and good ideas, you’ll find hundreds of kindred spirits at WJS offices across Western Canada and Ontario. Every day, more than 600 WJS Canada staff serve over 1,000 people in three provinces. For over 30 years, we’ve been committed to building strong communities by providing a complete range of innovative and effective professional services to children, youth, adults and families facing difficulties. Visit www.wjscanada.com for more information on WJS and details on the benefits employees enjoy.
**All applicants must provide a current (within 3 months) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check prior to confirmation of employment with WJS Canada. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, prepare accordingly.
Each day the Disability Service Worker will:
- Provide individualized supports based on needs
- Ensure a consistent, healthy & safe environment
- Support/supervise each individual’s physical, behavioural, emotional and social needs/development (in the residence & during community activities); observing & documenting changes.
- Assist with daily operation & maintenance of the program facility (meal prep, cleaning, etc.)
- Connect individuals with their family & community.
- Transport persons in care to appointments & participate in vocational, recreational, leisure activities.
- Assist in the design, implementation & evaluation of ISPs, program specific policies & procedures.
- Act as a liaison with family members, guardians & the community on behalf of the person in care.
- Administer medication, first aid, or notify emergency medical personnel if/when necessary.
The successful applicant MUST possess:
- Grade 12; Prefer Certificate or Diploma in Disabilities, Personal Support Worker, Special Education, etc.
- One (1) year exp working with children/youth/adults with significant mental health concerns
- Valid class 5 driver license with clear driving abstract and reliable vehicle
- Clear criminal record check & social services involvement check
- Recent First Aid/CPR Certification
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Training in Abuse Protocol, Medication Administration, Proactive Procedures and Behavioural Strategies, Crisis Prevention Intervention
- Work well in an environment with potential for aggression/violence; physical intervention skills an asset
- Team player; Able to direct activities without supervision
- Confident & able to function in a crisis
- A positive role model; patient; motivates others.
- Excellent verbal & written communication skills
- Ability to lift and transfer.
- One full time position
- Applicants must be available for a variety of shifts that include weekdays, as well as some weekends and evenings
Wage: Reg rate $18.70 – 21.65/hr Sleep rate $12.50/hr