Are you passionate about supporting a dynamic program that prepares youth to be leaders? Interested in a fun, flexible and fast paced opportunity in the non-profit sector? You might be the right person to take on an Area Support Manager role our Chinook Council in Calgary.
This could be the right opportunity for you if you are a self-starter committed to helping Scouters develop and execute programs. You bring to the role excellent communication skills customer management skills, business development and volunteer leadership skills.
We are growing! Scouts provides youth with opportunities to experience great adventures and learn new things to become capable and well-rounded citizens. We have reinvigorated our program to meet the changing demands of youth. As an Area Support Manager, your responsibilities include introducing the community to wonderful world of Scouting, enrolling youth and parents into our program, managing relationships within the community at large and facilitating success through coaching.
As an Area Support Manager, you will be assigned specific Areas in Southern Alberta and you will collaborate with Area Leadership teams on strategies and tactics to drive membership growth and retention.
You are confident at managing current Scouting Groups and providing support to volunteers. However, just as important is the drive and ability to start new Scouting Groups. Effective planning and time management is key to your success. It is essential you prioritize to ensure you are effectively managing existing groups while allowing adequate time to start new groups.
- Work in conjunction with key volunteers to develop growth plans and provide hands-on support in the execution of a Group’s growth plan;
- Facilitate, coach and mediate interpersonal challenges and opportunity.
- Manage group life cycles from community prospecting, startup, maturation to closing;
- Ensure each section is delivering quality programs to meet and exceed youth and parent’s expectations;
- Support volunteer recruitment, orientation, training, and performance management to ensure you have the right people in the right roles;
- Build and strengthen relationships with volunteers and provide support through regular meetings, communication and coaching.
- Facilitate compliance with organizational policies pertaining to member registration, volunteer screening and program safety.
- Manage the “business of Scouting” including using MS Office Suite of products to develop useful reporting to support Area growth and health checks.
What you bring to the table:
- Life experience, a Bachelor’s degree or post-secondary education in a related field.
- Experience in customer relationship management, business development management, sales management and volunteer recruitment is an asset, however relationships building skills, drive and ambition are essential.
- Self-starter, quick learner and the ability to prioritize and manage your time effectively to achieve/surpass targets.
- Strong people and relationships building skills with the ability to adapt your approach depending on the audience.
- Shared leadership approach and ability to lead, coach and motivate a team to achieve goals.
- Strong member focus; volunteers will see you as someone they can turn to for support and advice.
- Thrive in a busy and challenging environment where every day is different.
- Solid written/verbal communication, negotiation and presentation skills.
- Experience working with volunteers and volunteer management approaches is an asset.
- Experience/familiarity with Scouting is an asset.
- Strong knowledge of the LDS Community is an asset.
- Flexible work arrangements and may work either from home or the Service Centre in Calgary.
- Irregular work hours will include evening and weekend responsibilities.
- Travel is approximately up to 5,000 km per year throughout Southern Alberta. Mileage allowance will be provided.
- Must have access to your own vehicle, a valid Driver’s License and clear driver’s abstract.
- Must have a clean Police Check and pass a Vulnerable Sector Search.
- Salary range $40,000 – $50,000 based on experience.
If you think you will make a great addition to the team, please email your resume and cover letter indicating your salary expectations to .
Scouts Canada thanks you for taking the time to consider this position. Please understand that only individuals chosen for an interview will be contacted. For more information about Scouts Canada, please visit our web sites at www.scouts.ca. For more information on the Chinook Council visit http://chin.scouts.ca/.
Scouts Canada encourages applications from all qualified candidates and has a great record of accommodating persons with disabilities. Contact Lisa Donnelly in Human Resources at or 613-224-5131 if you need accommodation at any stage of the application process or want more information on our accommodation policies.