EXTERNAL JOB POSTING
C.U.P.E. – Local 4393
Guelph-Wellington Women in Crisis (G-W WIC) is a feminist community-based organization providing services to women and their children who have experienced woman abuse and/or sexual violence.
Marianne’s Place requires
Relief Support Counsellors
Classification 111b Level 1–4
Marianne’s Place is a residential workplace operating 24 hours, 7 days a week.
Requisite Skills, Abilities and Qualifications:
We are looking for a highly motivated individual with the skills and abilities to join Marianne’s Place team. If you are self-directed with the ability to work effectively within a team environment, are compassionate, creative and resourceful, please consider this opportunity.
- Provide Direct Service support, Group facilitation and Advocacy for women and children in the shelter.
- Deliver crisis intervention, crisis counselling services to crisis callers and residents.
- Act as support and resource person on issues of sexual abuse and domestic violence.
- Support women in navigating legal, housing, income and child welfare systems.
- Assist women and children in connecting to community resources.
- Complete Administration, Security and Maintenance responsibilities.
- Facilitate dialogue concerning resident relationships, house rules etc.
The successful candidate will have:
- Specialized training in sexual violence counselling, including childhood sexual abuse issues.
- Specialized knowledge of trauma, mental health and substance abuse issues.
- Post secondary degree or diploma in social services or related field.
- Minimum 1-3 years previous experience working with and advocating for women and children.
- Experience in crisis intervention, support and advocacy for women and children living in a residential setting.
- Awareness of rural, culture and societal barriers abused women and their children face.
- Demonstrated knowledge of child development, effects of witnessing violence on children and parenting strategies.
- Strong administration/organizational skills with strong computer competency.
- Demonstrated facilitation and presentation skills.
- Working knowledge of current community resources.
- Ability to work on short notice, to work all shifts; including days, evening, weekends, overnights; statutory holidays and during peak holiday periods
- Current Standard First Aid, CPR and CPIC.
- Second language highly preferred.
This position is part of the Collective Agreement of CUPE Local 4393; Guelph-Wellington Women in Crisis.
Please send your resume in confidence to: Christine Wilson at
Guelph-Wellington Women in Crisis is committed to anti-racism, anti-oppression work and in keeping with this principle we encourage Aboriginal women, women of colour, women with disabilities, lesbians, bisexual women and transwomen to apply. Guelph-Wellington Women in Crisis is committed to anti-racism anti-oppression work and in keeping with this principle; we encourage Aboriginal women, women of colour, women with disabilities, lesbians, bisexual women and transwomen to apply
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls or other inquiries please.