The Mustard Seed’s Mission is to build hope and wellbeing for our most vulnerable citizens through Jesus’ love.
Reporting to the Shelter Food Services Team Lead, the Food Services Staff member is responsible, as part of a team, to assist with preparing meals for our guests. Food Services Staff will also ensure all food deliveries from suppliers and donations are received, sorted, and stored in the most efficient manner.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Receives, verifies orders and stores all purchased food and kitchen items;
- Receives donated goods, sorts and moves to appropriate area;
- Places food on the giveaway carts during meal times;
- Oversees stored food rotation;
- Maintains Occupational Health & Safety Standards;
- Follows the Environmental Health Services Guidelines regarding how food is prepared, handled, and stored;
- Works alongside individual volunteers;
- Keeps all food inventories up-to-date;
- Tracks statistics i.e. temp. Audits, serving stats, Fine Ops.
- Greets and welcomes all donors in a professional and respectful manner;
- Assists cook with preparing and serving of meals.
- Maintains cleanliness of kitchen; i.e. Floors, countertops, walls.
- Works in dish pit, cleaning cook ware and dishes.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Above all, work as a team member.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- A preferred minimum of one (1) year experience working in the Food Service industry;
- Valid certificate from the Alberta Health Services Food Safe course;
- Willingness to learn more advanced cooking skills.
- Ability to lead a team consisting of paid staff, volunteers, and guests;
- Ability to resolve conflicts as they arise.
- This is a casual position (minimum 16 hours) with the possibility for full-time.Must be available for some evening and some morning shifts 6am -2pm or 2pm-9:30pm. Some weekends required.
- This is a “hands on” position and there will be lifting involved.
- This can be a high pressure environment where the ability to adapt to change and find creative solutions is essential.
- A valid driver’s license is an asset. Food pickups may be required.
- Employment Security Check is required
- As The Mustard Seed is a Christian ministry, we require our employees to be in agreement and to sign our statement of faith
- The Mustard Seed embraces the concept of employment equity, which includes fair representation, anti-discrimination and reasonable accommodation.
- Must have legal authorization to work in Canada on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer
Start date: Immediate
This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
Please forward cover letter and resume to indicating the position title in the subject line.
The Mustard Seed offers a competitive compensation package including 100% employer paid extended health and dental benefits for staff and dependents, matching RRSP after one year of service, and flex days.