Events & Volunteer Engagement Coordinator
Central Alberta Chapter, Alberta & NWT Division
Canada has the highest rate of multiple sclerosis in the world, with 100,000 Canadians living with MS. The Multiple Sclerosis Society of Canada is the country’s MS advocate, funding leading research in MS and programs & services that help people live well with the disease.
Reporting to the Regional Director, the Events & Volunteer Engagement Coordinator will be responsible for the organization, coordination, and execution of event logistics for the annual fundraising events. The Coordinator will also provide support to all additional fundraising events within the Central Region.
The successful incumbent will be required to complete a criminal background check and a driver’s abstract as a condition of hire.
- Coordinates all logistical aspects of the Central Region MS Walk and MS Bike Tour in coordination with the Regional Director
- Leads all administrative aspects of the MS Walk and MS Bike for the Central Region, including tracking and inputting participant registrations and generating reports
- Responsible for planning, organizing, coordinating, conducting and evaluating the Drumheller MS Walk
- Provides support to participants with online registration and online fundraising
- Supports teams by supplying fundraising tools, materials, signage, etc. and attending team fundraising activities when appropriate
- Supports with preparation of event sponsorship packages and solicitation of sponsors
- Helps organize event promotional events
- Coordinates and maintains fundraising equipment
- Develops and updates event operations plans and equipment lists
- Assists the Regional Director with planning and execution of Chapter’s fundraising events beyond the Walk and Bike Tour
- Works with Development Committee to plan events
- Promotes fundraising volunteer opportunities
- Recruits, places, trains, supervises, recognizes and retains event volunteers
- Updates volunteer instructions, position descriptions and training materials
- Provides event information to relevant external groups: neighbourhood residents, community groups, police, municipalities and emergency response
- Prepares newsletters and communications for event participants and volunteers
- Develops and maintains relationships with the local media to promote awareness of MS and MS Society events
- Communicates and builds relationships with community organizations, MS Society staff across the province/country, donors, volunteers, sponsors and suppliers
- Maintains the Chapter event website following MS Society guidelines
- University Degree or Community College Diploma with at least 1-2 years of experience in fundraising, special event
- planning and project management or the equivalent education and experience
- Strong customer service skills and stewardship experience is required
- Experience working with event volunteer committees, within a non-profit fundraising environment would be an asset
- A valid driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle is required
- Outstanding verbal and written communication, leadership and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, displaying an ability to prioritize and multi-task items with
- conflicting deadlines at various stages of completion.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality at all times, sensitive to issues of disability and diversity.
- Works well and builds successful working relationships with internal and external partners
- Must be prompt, presentable, self-reliant, detail-oriented and well-spoken with excellent telephone manners.
- Excellent computer skills; experience on Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Microsoft Outlook Email and a customized
- database (Opal).
- Strong leadership skills and teamwork
- Ability to work in a fast paced, high pressure professional environment
- Confident, dynamic, and a results-oriented professional who can exercise strong judgment when balancing multiple
- priorities with overlapping deadlines
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to take initiative and practice good decision-making.
- Ability to be flexible and respond to a diverse workload.
- Willingness to work at special events.
- Extended hours and weekend work are required from time to time.
- Some travel may be required to attend meetings and/or events.
- Some heavy lifting, up to 50 lbs. may be required from time to time.
Location: Red Deer, Alberta
|How to Apply:
Please mention you saw this posting on WorkInNonProfits.ca.
Please submit cover letter and resume, including salary expectations, before end of day October 28, 2016.
Please note: applicants must state salary expectations in order to be considered
The MS Society has a bold vision for the future. We have a team of dedicated professionals who share a common goal to end MS and to improve the lives of those affected by MS. We strive to be an employer of choice and provide a working environment that values diversity, team work, and professional development.
The MS Society of Canada embraces diversity and encourages all qualified applicants to apply. We appreciate your interest and will contact you if a meeting is required.
More information about the MS Society is available at www.mssociety.ca
Lorraine Evans-Cross, Regional Director
Multiple Sclerosis Society of Canada
105, 4807 50 Avenue, Red Deer, AB T4N 4A5