The Yonge Street Mission is a Christian faith-based, not-for-profit community, called to demonstrate God’s love, peace and justice, to those living with economic, social and spiritual poverty in Toronto. This is a Casual Relief/On Call position. The Youth Drop-In Worker will work with street-involved youth in a dynamic drop-in setting (Evergreen Centre for Street Youth), small groups and one on one; supporting, pastoring, advocating, accompanying and encouraging youth as they make choices to move to healthier lifestyles.
The Youth Drop-In Worker will assist in referring youth to services related to housing, health care, employment etc. If you enjoy engaging with a wide variety of street-involved youth, feel God’s calling to build a career in a drop-in setting and desire to make a significant impact on this vibrant, diverse community, this is your opportunity!
You will practice skills in: building relationships with hard-to-reach populations, crisis intervention; and work in an environment where we value journeying and empowering community members.
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Building meaningful relationships with street-involved/at-risk youth who access Evergreen services and challenging them to seek their full potential
- Providing effective intervention in crisis situations
- Assisting with programs, daily tasks etc.
- Refer and accompany youth to appropriate services
The successful candidate will have the following skills and training:
- A biblical understanding of the unique aspects of ministry among the poor and youth at risk
- Demonstrated knowledge in working with street-involved/at-risk youth from culturally diverse backgrounds
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to engage with a wide variety of personality types
- Drop-In service delivery experience with youth who are street-involved and socially isolated
- Ability to manage crisis situations
- Strong conflict resolution skills, crisis intervention expertise
- Multicultural and multi-faith sensitivity
- Post-secondary education in the social service field (preferred)
- A Police Check will be required/First Aid training is an asset
- Demonstrated commitment to YSM’s principles of faith, mission and values
Deadline for Application: October 31, 2016 Starting Date: November 2016
Send resume and cover letter in confidence to: Jesse Sudirgo:
While we appreciate all responses, only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
Learn more about Yonge Street Mission by visiting our website: www.ysm.ca