The Toronto Community Addiction Team (TCAT) is an intensive case management program for adults living with complex substance use who also have a history of frequent use of Withdrawal Management Services and/or Hospital Emergency Departments. TCAT case managers work from a harm reduction perspective, assisting clients to achieve recovery that is meaningful to the individual service user.
The position provides direct, mobile case management supports to adult clients with addictions issues living in the community, on a complete range of addiction, health, financial, housing, legal and life skills issues. Case managers provide extensive one-to-one office, home visit and telephone supports to assist participants in identifying and achieving goals. Working closely with Withdrawal Management Services, Central Intake and other partner organizations, the Case Manager liaises with and coordinates access to services including treatment and Withdrawal Management programs, landlords, health care providers, legal institutions, income supports, housing providers and community services.
- Conduct intake and assessment interviews with participants.
- Provide one-to-one assistance, case management and life skills education. Provide detailed assessment, support planning and advocacy on relevant health issues, addictions, financial, employment and social supports. Assist participants with addictions issues, id, income assistance, and housing as required.
- Work with clients to identify and achieve goals related to addictions, housing, and health as identified by individual service users.
- Maintain ongoing support in the community, including home visits, office visits, escorting to appointments, and meetings in institutional settings.
- Monitor property issues (rent payment, health and safety, housing standards) and liaise with landlords as required.
- Form positive relationships and strong partnerships with Withdrawal Management Services, hospitals, law enforcement agencies, housing providers, and mental health and social service.
- Connect clients with supports in the community that are based on their needs and will help them achieve and maintain stability, including support groups, life skills groups and social events.
- As part of the Toronto Community Addictions Team, engage in the active team case management of clients.
- BA/B.S.W plus 2 years of experience in human services, preferably as a case manager or a combined equivalent of education and experience.
- Proven work experience with clients living with mental health and homelessness
- Formal education in addictions work is preferred
- Minimum two years’ experience with marginalized populations including substance users and homeless adults.
- Physically able to travel consistently throughout the city on transit
- Recent demonstrated knowledge and skills in assessment, counseling and case management.
- Excellent written and verbal skills in English.
- Experience, alignment and commitment to harm reduction.
- Proficient with MS Office, and web based data entry for case management and time/labour.
- Familiarity with Catalyst and the administration of the ADAT screening tools is an asset
- Self-directed, organized, and demonstrated supportive team member abilities
- Certification in Conflict Prevention and Intervention or willing to be trained
- A current police record check is required for this position.
- Take part in research activities as required for the project.
- Some evening and weekend work required.