Facility: Alouette Addictions Services
#201 22477 Lougheed Hwy
Maple Ridge, BC V2X 2T8
Job Title: Adult Alcohol & Drug Counsellor
Grid Level & Union: VIII; HSA
Hours of work: Monday – Friday; 37.5hrs/week;
Shifts will depend on the needs of the Agency:
8:30 – 5pm; 9:30 – 6pm & 10:30 – 7pm
Reports to: Supervisor of Clinical Services
Start Date: November 1, 2016
Posting Date: October 14, 2016
Closing Date: October 28, 2016
Working within the context of a client centered care model, collaboratively as a member of the counselling team and in accordance with the vision/values of Alouette Addiction Services, the Alcohol and Drug Counsellor provides a range of treatment services related to alcohol and other drugs. The Alcohol and Drug Counsellor is responsible for provision of consultation, assessment, referral, case management, counselling and follow-up support for addicted individuals and those who care for them. These services will be provided in a variety of modalities including individual, couple, family and group counselling. The Alcohol and Drug Counsellor will also liaise and consult with other community services including detox, residential treatment and other specialized Ministries.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Treatment Services:
- Provide screening and orientation services to individual’s regarding their own or someone else’s substance misuse.
- Complete initial and/or comprehensive assessment using therapeutically sound and approved clinical instruments.
- Initiate referrals and complete aftercare service with individuals and/or collateral service providers.
- Respond to risk indicators that indicate a need for clinical or legal interventions to ensure the safety and well being of an individual or others.
- Formulate and implement mutually negotiated treatment plans which will identify client specific behaviour change using time framed strategies and outcome measures.
- Deliver a range of treatment/counselling techniques that are consistent with the clients’ stages of change.
- Visit clients outside of the office setting when appropriate and approved by supervisor.
- Participate in case conferences; attend advisory functions as directed.
- Clinical Participation in Alcohol and Drug Team Practices, Program Planning and Development:
- Liaise with collateral service providers and the community regarding substance use/misuse concerns.
Participate as a member of the clinical team in program policy and development.
- Contribute leadership, knowledge and service to the organization’s goals and objectives.
- Record Keeping
- Perform case file documentation in accordance with governance policy and procedures.
- Other Duties:
- Provide internal, community and regional training/education in related subjects.
- Attend specific training events as required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Bachelor Degree in a health related discipline from an approved post-secondary school, plus three years of recent related experience. Experience must be directly related to providing counselling/treatment of substance misuse. A valid BC Driver’s License & a clean Criminal Record Check is required.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge and skill working with individuals who are chemically dependent and those who care for them.
- Excellence in counselling skills, clinical assessment skills and report writing.
- Ability to apply all ranges of treatment approaches for chemical dependency from abstinence to harm reduction.
- Knowledge of community health agencies and other available services.
- Working knowledge of client centred care.
- Knowledge of facilitation, mediation, conflict resolution techniques and problem solving skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to independently plan, organize and prioritize workload and adapt to a changing caseload.
- Ability to perform a range of needs assessments with both individual and groups.
- Ability to counsel a variety of group configurations.
PLEASE SUBMIT RESUME by email to BEFORE THE CLOSING DATE.
We thank all that apply, but only those short listed will be contacted.