Norwood Child & Family Resource Centre (Norwood) is a dynamic organization that continually reviews and updates services based on the strengths and needs of children and families in order to provide programs and services that strengthen and enrich their lives. Ubuntu is a partnership of five agencies within the city of Edmonton that work with Edmonton Children and Family Services to help make positive changes in families lives by providing more flexible, creative, collaborative and community based services in order to address their needs. We are currently recruiting hourly staff to our Family Time Program.
Family Time is a new and exciting leading edge Program developed in Partnership with Ubuntu and Norwood. Through this program we provide fully engaging coached visits with children ages 0 – 6, and their parents/caregivers. This service provides the opportunity for the child/ren to be picked up from their current residence and transported via vehicle to a scheduled visitation location in the community. While in the vehicle, the Coach will utilize appropriate early childhood development activities to build a relationship with the child/ren and support their development during the transition to and from the visitation with the parent(s)/guardian(s). During the visits the Family Coach will support the reunification process by planning and interacting with families to work towards the goals that have been set. Supportive learning opportunities may also be provided by demonstration and modelling around children’s brain development and functioning, promoting healthy child development, family dynamics and communication.
Reporting to the Family Time Manager, the Family Coach supports children and families whereby the children are living in another home environment while the family is working towards reunification. The families are engaged with the North East Child and Family Services office and referred through Ubuntu.
The ideal candidates will possess the following qualifications:
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in a human services field e.g. Early Learning and Child Care Diploma, Social Work, Children’s Mental Health and so forth
- Experience coaching and supporting parent child (0 – 6) interaction
- Experience working with children and families from diverse cultural and socio-economic backgrounds
- Training in Relationship Based Practice, Child In Relationship, Kids Have Stress Too, Early Brain Development, Trauma Informed Practice are an asset
- Strong knowledge of child development and parenting skills
- Strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Working knowledge of MS Office, with experience in Excel and database systems
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work alone and in a team environment
- Valid driver’s license, clear driver’s abstract
- A current First Aid Certificate, Criminal Record Check and Child Welfare Intervention Record Check
Norwood Child & Family Resource Centre offers a strong team environment with a competitive compensation plan, full benefits for those working 80 hours per month or more, a commitment to staff celebration and recognition, a strong focus on employee wellness, team building activities, and ongoing professional development. The salary for this role is $21.73 – $27.17 per hour.
THIS POSITION REQUIRES A FLEXIBLE WORK SCHEDULE THAT EMPHASIZES EVENINGS, WEEKENDS AND IS REFLECTIVE OF FAMILY NEEDS. The number of hours/month are expected to vary from approximately 50 – 140.