Organization Profile: The Career Foundation offers a wide range of career and job related programs. Since its inception in 1988, The Career Foundation has steadily expanded its services. Operating out of seven locations, we now help thousands of people each year successfully accomplish their employment goals. The Career Foundation receives funding from Employment Ontario, Service Canada, and private sector companies. For more information please visit our website at www.CareerFoundation.com.
Position Summary: Reporting to the Financial Controller, the Accounting Coordinator is accountable for the timely recording, tracking, reconciliation and payment of all invoices payable by the organization following generally accepted accounting principles, policies and procedures. The Accounting Coordinator is also responsible for the administration of payroll through third party partners. The Accounting Coordinator works in collaboration with other members of the Finance Team to maintain the accuracy and confidentiality of all financial records.
Position Type: Full Time Contract
Number of Positions: 1
Reporting to: Controller, Finance Department
Years of Experience: 1+
RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE (BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO):
- Receives and prepares all invoices for payment, ensuring that that Procurement Policy is adhered to at all times.
- Reviews invoices for appropriate authorization and verifies that supporting documentation is provided. Follows up with the supervisor and / or vendor regarding discrepancies.
- Ensures that all invoices are correctly allocated to the appropriate program.
- Posts supplier invoices into Sage following established procedures.
- Ensures that vendors are paid in a timely fashion, conferring with Controller regarding cash flow.
- Responds to vendor inquiries regarding status of invoice payment.
- Reviews and reconciles monthly supplier statements to posted records. Contacts vendors to request outstanding invoices or to resolve discrepancies.
- Reconciles Sage aged payables report to the general ledger. Resolves difference if out of balance.
- Ensures that all invoices are posted to the correct accounting period.
- Verifies accuracy of HST amounts and allocates to correct accounts for future remittance / reimbursement. Tracks self-assessment where necessary.
- Prepares and reconciles HST remittances, reconciling to the general ledger and ensuring compliance with Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) legislation and deadlines.
- Keeps current with new developments in HST legislation.
- Provides program budget detail for all programs as requested. Collaborates with Supervisor / Manager / Director to resolve discrepancies or provide instructions. Prepares and posts journal entries as necessary.
- Monitors and reconciles cash advances.
- Manages and maintains corporate credit card program in collaboration with Controller.
- Ensures that staff follow correct procedures for ordering supplies; places Finance supplies orders, ensuring that expenditures are within budget.
- Provides documentation and answers questions as requested during the annual audit process by the external auditors.
- Maintains complete and accurate files, accessible to other Finance Team staff for reference.
- Provides office support and vacation relief, as necessary, for the Finance Team.
- Performs other general accounting duties as required.
Payroll – Through third Party Partner
- Receives time sheets from programs, and passes information to Third Party to process semi-monthly payrolls.
- Ensures that payroll and benefit information/changes are made in accordance with relevant legislation (Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) and the Income Tax Act).
- Requests and follows up with Third Party to issue Records of Employment as necessary.
- Generates and submits Employer Health Tax (EHT) remittances.
- Produces, reconciles and submits annual T4s and T4As.
- Maintains up to date payroll procedures.
- Keeps current with new developments in payroll, as well as applicable government legislation and standards.
- Maintains all payroll and benefits information in a confidential manner.
- Other payroll duties as required.
- Successful completion of a minimum of two (2) years post-secondary education working towards a Chartered Professional Accountants (CPA) designation.
- One years’ previous accounting experience, including account reconciliation and tracking and monitoring of expenses.
- One years’ previous payroll experience. Accounting experience within the non-profit sector is a preferred and is an asset.
- Proven knowledge of Sage accounting software, Windows, Microsoft Office.
- Proficient in the development, design and use of advanced Excel spreadsheets.
- Knowledge of Canadian GAAP, GST & Ontario Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) and Income Tax Act legislation.
- Proven knowledge of Employment Standards Act (ESA), and Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).
- Excellent detail orientation and analytical skills.
- Excellent organizational skills with demonstrated ability to prioritize, multi task and meet deadlines.
- Must have good verbal/written communication skills.
- Must have outstanding customer service and interpersonal communication skills when dealing with Funders, partners, staff and other interested parties.