The Federation of Canadian Municipalities (FCM) is the national voice of municipal governments, representing the interests of cities and communities with the federal government.
Department: Communications and Membership
Languages: Bilingual, English and French
The Federation of Canadian Municipalities (FCM) has been the national voice of municipal government since 1901. FCM is dedicated to improving the quality of life in all communities by promoting strong, effective and accountable municipal government. FCM also assumes a lead role representing Canadian municipal interests at the international level by establishing links with municipal associations in other countries. FCM is also involved in protecting the environment through pollution prevention and sustainable community development. The Federation serves constituents in both official languages.
The Communications Advisor develops and executes communications strategies in support of FCM’s strategic corporate objectives. He/she provides strategic communications counsel, executes key communications deliverables, and contributes to the communications and advocacy efforts of FCM. This includes targeted communications and outreach to members, stakeholders, and other audiences as required. The Advisor supports the policy and government relations team, senior management team, and members of the Board in fulfilling their communications and advocacy mandate.
- Provides advice and support on the implementation of strategic communications activities relating to FCM’s policy and advocacy initiatives, and ensures the development and implementation of related communications programs, activities and campaigns.
- Provides senior writing and editing services for a broad range of communications, including government submissions, policy reports, speeches, presentations, media backgrounders, correspondence and Board reports
- Contributes to FCM digital communications platforms (web and social media) to advance policy and government relations objectives.
- Works with media relations and digital communications colleagues to promote consistency of messaging and overall outreach to stakeholders, including parliamentarians and other officials.
- Coordinates the communications support for all activities related to the policy and government relations activities of FCM.
- Collaborates with team members on projects that frequently must be delivered under tight time and budget constraints.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Post-secondary education in Journalism, Communications, Marketing, or Public Relations or a combination of experience and/or education that would be considered equivalent
- Six to eight years of professional communications experience in a policy, political and/or advocacy environment.
- Superior writing and editing skills, which can be applied to various communications (e.g. submissions, reports, speeches, backgrounders, news releases, web or digital content, etc.)
- Bilingual, with superior English language skills (both writing and editing)
- Attention to detail and an eye for quality with the ability to identify key messages and distill complex information into concise and effective communications materials
- Strong time management skills and ability to work effectively under pressure, meet tight deadlines, prioritize and deal with uncertainty in a fast-paced environment
- Strong analytical skills including ability to identify communication needs and align varying perspectives to ensure consistency in overall communications perspective and strategy
- Travel within Canada is required approximately twice per year
The benefits of joining the FCM team include summer hours (Fridays off between July 1st and Labour Day); office facilities located in the ByWard Market; FCM’s commitment to employee development and a competitive range of employee benefits and services.
|How to Apply:
Please mention you saw this posting on WorkInNonProfits.ca.
For additional information on this posting, or for further information on FCM, access our website at www.fcm.ca.
Visit the careers section of our website to apply. Deadline for applications is October 27, 2016.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however we will only contact those selected for an interview. All the applications will be kept on file for six months following the hiring.
Federation of Canadian Municipalities
24 Clarence Street
Ottawa, ON, K1N 5P3