The Federation of Canadian Municipalities (FCM) is the national voice of municipal government. It fosters sustainable communities enjoying a high quality of life by promoting strong, effective, and accountable municipal government.
Department: FCM International
Languages: Bilingualism (English and French) is a required; Spanish is an asset
Responsible for providing administrative, logistical and organizational support for the assigned program in a specific region or thematic area. Acts as the central point of contact for enquiries for information and services related to national or international programs.
- Acts as the central point of contact for administrative and logistics questions related to the assigned program, including responding to enquiries or transferring them to appropriate parties. In coordination with the Program Manager, liaises with the program staff, FCM corporate services (Programs Services Unit, Finance, Information Technology, Human Resources), mission participants and partners, and follows-up on missing information, documentation or other requests.
- Coordinates all travel arrangements related to the assigned program (accommodation, transportation, insurance, advances, etc.) for staff, consultants and volunteers; advises partners, volunteers and consultants on FCM and Treasury Board travel policy and procedures; and if pertinent, liaises with overseas program office(s) to ensure coordination of international travel arrangements.
- Reviews, processes (codes, validates, verifies) and submits invoices, expense claims and cheque requisitions to the Finance department. May be required to track expenditures against budget, collect information and provide input for annual budget planning.
- Organizes logistics for program activities such as meetings, workshops, study tours, job shadowing programs, Canadian and/or International missions, information sessions and special activities, in coordination with program staff, partners and host municipalities.
- Provides administrative support for the program, including: drafting, editing and/or proofreading a variety of documents; and maintaining electronic copy of program documentation (i.e. travelers’ profile, mission checklists, contact information, copies of passports, insurance forms, biographies, etc.) for effective and efficient retrieval of information.
- Supports the capacity development of partners and field staff, if applicable, in matters related to administration, logistics, policy interpretation and implementation of administrative systems and tools, in order to ensure alignment with FCM practices.
- May also provide support for program management functions (e.g. preparation and monitoring of annual plans and budgets, recruitment and selection of volunteers, etc.).
- Participates in administrative and operations issues coordination group and provides back-up support for other Program Assistants, as needed
- Liaises with both FCM staff and external service providers on matters related to coordinating and following up on translation and production of documents, coordinating and confirming travel arrangements, and scheduling and logistics coordination for meetings and events
- May be called upon to participate in cross-functional team work for FCM Programs Department and/or for FCM organization initiatives
- Participates on FCM committees to provide feedback and regular updates on administrative issues and may be required to attend internal meetings on behalf of the Program Manager, which involves providing updates on program activities.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Post- secondary education in an administrative, office support or other relevant discipline.
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience in an administrative role or equivalent related education/experience.
- Strong knowledge of administrative practices and processes (e.g. electronic file management, templates and business documents formats).
- Strong knowledge of business support processes and tools, computer business applications (Microsoft Office suite).
- Good organizational, interpersonal and communication skills, and a professional attitude in order to coordinate work with various stakeholders and senior level contacts.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and prioritize in a fast paced environment with tight deadlines/turnaround times.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality, discretion and tact when dealing with sensitive information.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Experience working in international programs or overseas is an asset.
- Ability to work with individuals from diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Understanding of financial management principles.
- Understanding of donor-funded guidelines and contractual obligations.
- Fluently bilingual in both official languages with strong verbal and written communication skills is required
- Knowledge of Spanish is considered an asset
The benefits of joining the FCM team include summer hours (Fridays off between July 1st and Labour Day); office facilities located in the ByWard Market; FCM’s commitment to employee development and a competitive range of employee benefits and services.