Shayna Hornstein is a registered physical therapist with a certificate in treatement of trauma and the body from the Sensorimotor Psychotherapy Institute of Colorado. She is an experienced facilitator, trainer and coach. Her unusual approach to handling anger and conflict addresses the sudden physical sensations that take over (pounding heart, tight throat or stomach, shaky hands...) and impede our ability to use the skills we do have. She teaches techniques to settle these natural reactions so participants can stay safe, think more clearly and handle tough situations professionally and with less difficulty.
See her website : www.shaynahornstein.net
Range of Services
Workshops & Trainings
All workshops are offered in 2-hour, half or full-day formats. Half-day sessions include a minimum of three practice exercises; Full day workshops incorporate more than five activities to practice different techniques (Descriptions available upon request).
1) Conflict Training for Managers & Supervisors
"Staying Steady While Dealing With Difficult Situations"
2) Conflict Training for Frontline Administrative Workers and Professionals
"Facing Anger or Aggression : Staying Steady in the Thick of It"
3) Techniques to Support Each Other Through Difficult Situations
"Better than Venting: Healthy Alternatives that Boost Morale"
Participants explain changes in their behaviour following workshops
- A health educator became aware that she approached clients somewhat strongly. Now she ‘gets it’ why clients ‘pushed-back.’ With her new approach, clients connect more readily with her and she feels less tension.
- One mental health worker stated that when a familiar, unpredictable client would engage him in an inappropriate joke, he had not been able to contain himself. Now, he can hold himself back comfortably. He felt more professional and his response kept this client’s energy from escalating.
- When a client moved suddenly into one social worker’s space, he was surprised to notice the absence of his usual immediate fear response. The worker described being able to calmly redirect the client while protecting himself. The interaction went smoothly and he excitedly reported new-found confidence.
- One worker learned to notice when she was beginning to annoy a colleague and now can stop, step back and calm herself instead.
Coaching Support for Managers & Supervisors
- Handling workers with disruptive behaviours
- Dealing with poor morale and burnout
- Handling anger or aggression
Individual Critical Incident Stress Debriefing
- For managers, frontline workers, or anyone who has experienced a critical incident with aftereffects that are impacting their work.
- I focus on helping people process & settle the uncomfortable physical sensations that linger and impede our ability to focus and work productively.
Consider trainings or coaching if your workplace is struggling with:
- a worker with disruptive behaviours that impact the team
- poor morale - your group moves from mini-crisis to mini-crisis with unspoken, yet palpable undercurrents
- increasing absenteeism, illness or injury among staff
- conflict among staff, including bullying
What previous workshop participants have said about my work:
- "Helpful! Not the 'typical' workshop! Excellent."
- "The interactive exercises allowed each of us to experience our own situations and relate the information to our own lives."
- “Recognizing how I feel at the early stage of uncomfortable.”
- “It was very unique & focused on conflict with a different approach.”
- “The physical exercises and the lightness - no heavy stuff - just simple concepts.”
- "Feeling more grounded than when I arrived; learned ability to identify specific, chronic body response."
- "This is real. This isn't telling us, 'Do this. Do that.'"
Some of the agencies I've worked with include:
Positive Women's Network (ongoing since 1994); Community Living Society; AIDS Vancouver; Vancouver Coastal Health (various projects); VANDU (Vancouver Area Network of Drug Users); BC Women's Hospital; Literacy Quesnel; Music Therapists Association of BC; Okanagan College; Pacific AIDS Network; The Canadian Red Cross Society; Richmond School District; Collingwood Neighbourhood House; University of British Columbia; Provincial Health Services Authority; BC Cancer Agency; Hospital Employees Union; Simon Fraser University; Bramalea Community Health Centre; BC Mental Health & Addictions.
My fees range from $800 - $1500/ day. These rates are negotiable and vary depending on the work you hire me to do.
I'd welcome discussing these with you.
References gladly provided upon request.