The Mustard Seed is a Christian humanitarian organization whose vision is to build community, grow hope and support change. Intentionally following Jesus Christ and partnering with the community, The Mustard Seed combats the root causes of poverty in Alberta and works to create positive, lasting change in the lives of those we serve. The Mustard Seed provides basic services - food, clothing and housing, and support services – education and employment, to those living in poverty within Alberta and British Columbia.
Reporting to the Director of Marketing, Communications and Brand, the Communications Coordinator is responsible for developing and implementing a communications strategy for Edmonton, Red Deer, and Kamloops operations that will raise awareness of the issues of poverty in the inner city and profile The Mustard Seed in various locations in the broader community, including churches, businesses, foundations and individuals.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Clearly communicate the mission, vision, core values and story of The Mustard Seed in Kamloops, Edmonton, and Red Deer with both internal (staff, volunteers, community) and external (donors, media, businesses, agencies, churches) audiences
- Prepare timely communications materials and promotional items in support of programming, fund raising and special events
- Provide support for Social Media and storytelling for The Mustard Seed by creating content photography skills
- Maintain media database and public contacts for disseminating information
- Compile and distribute weekly media summaries for all of Alberta and British Columbia
- Assist Communications Coordinator Team Lead with key messaging for media releases, public service announcements, media kits, etc.
- Assist in the production of organizational videos as required for promotional purposes
- Assist with writing stories and research of the quarterly newsletter and monthly electronic newsletter to meet timelines
- Support all development events within in city and Mustard Seed sites with communication needs
- Participate as a team in communication strategy and planning
- Some administration duties as needed to assist the communications, marketing and brand department and coordination of The Mustard Seed promotional site
- Other duties as may be assigned
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- A passion to be part of ending homelessness in Alberta and British Columbia and a desire to serve those who are experiencing homelessness and extreme poverty
- Post - secondary education in marketing or communications or in a related field
- Three to five years of public relations/marketing experience
- Experience and knowledge of social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, eBlog, Instagram, Hootsuite, Wordpress, and mailchimp
- Self-motivated, proactive, energetic, and goal oriented with superior interpersonal skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Skilled in Microsoft Office Suite, particularly Word and PowerPoint
- Knowledge with Adobe Creative Suite is considered an asset
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to manage multiple projects with competing deadlines
- Previous experience working in a not-for-profit organization is highly desirable
- Valid driver’s license, access to a reliable vehicle, and clean driver’s abstract
- Full - time position working 40 hours per week, some weekend and evening work may be required.
- Position located in Edmonton with regular travel to Red Deer
- Office environment—more mental than physical—extensive periods of sedentary work
- This position is often fast - paced, and requires moderate amount of mental effort to analyze information and problem solve
- Driver’s Abstract and Employment Security Check is required
- As The Mustard Seed is a Christian ministry, we require our employees to be in agreement and to sign our Statement of Faith
- Must have legal authorization to work in Canada on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer
Start date: Immediate
This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
Apply online using our Position Application Form on our Careers page. (https://themustardseedhr.wufoo.eu/forms/position-application-form/)
The Mustard Seed offers a competitive compensation package including 100% employer paid extended health and dental benefits for staff and dependents, matching RRSP, and Wellness days. The Mustard Seed embraces the concept of employment equity, which includes fair representation, anti-discrimination and reasonable accommodation.