Family Support Specialist - High Level Family Services Centre
Job Number: J0419-0705
Job Type: Permanent, Full-Time
City: High Level, Alberta
Hours of Work Per Week: 40
Scheduled Days Each Week: Varies
Scheduled Hours: Generally 8:30-4:30 with some evening & weekend hours
Compensation: $25.20 - $33.80
Closing Date: Until suitable candidate hired
WJS Canada is committed to building strong families who are resilient to life’s challenges.
We work to keep families strong together and ensure children have the love and care they need to grow into healthy adults. Our Signs of Safety planning and holistic case management approach engages and empowers families and enables them to address the emotional, social, physical and general health aspects of their lives.
WJS Canada is currently recruiting a Family Support Specialist who works directly with families, youth and children in High Level, AB and the surrounding community. Our role is to help parents build on their strengths to successfully and safely raise their children, under the Collaborative Service Delivery mode by bringing help inside their homes to support children, youth & families and ensure lasting success through community support. WJS Canada staff and families work together to learn what the family hopes to accomplish, set realistic goals and encourage the family’s strengths. Working a flexible schedule, the position will require the Family Support Specialist to work regular office hours, as well as evening & weekend hours, up to 40 hr/week. Flexibility is required in order to support families during evenings & weekends when they are gathered together & require the most support.
In Your Role You Will
• Establish trusting relationships with children and families, while assisting them in the development of interpersonal, communication skills, daily living skills, and other areas of interest.
• Provide flexible and responsive client centered support to address children, youth, family or caregiver needs through individual program plans while respecting choices, decisions and needs of families.
• Provide individual and group counseling as appropriate.
• A key component of this position is supporting children and families to connect with resources and organizing ongoing service delivery with stakeholders.
• Collaborate and/or work as a team with community systems (i.e. school), specialized service providers, volunteers and extended family members.
• Conduct family visits in the community and be available for evening/weekend visits and/or on standby as required.
• Attend supervised visits with families that are involved with the Ministry of Human Services.
• Transport individuals or families as required.
• Accommodate and respect cultural, social and religious heritage.
• Follow up on closed case files to ensure family safety and implementation of individual program plans.
• Administrative duties including typing/filing reports, compiling monthly reports, etc.
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 3 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• Diploma in Social Services, Bachelor of Social work or similar education. Other combinations of education and experience may be considered.
• 3 years experience working with families in a human or family services field.
• Demonstrated knowledge of therapeutic and intervention theories and the stages of child development;
• Excellent verbal, written and listening communication skills and interpersonal skills in order to work effectively with individuals and groups from a variety of diverse communities and to resolve conflict in an effective manner;
• Valid Alberta Driver’s License (not Graduated - GDL), reliable vehicle with appropriate insurance, and clean driver’s abstract
• Strong understanding of the Child, Youth and Family Enhancement Act.
• Valid CPR/First Aid and WHMIS
• Aboriginal culture awareness is an asset.
• Training in suicide prevention and cultural sensitivity
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!