The British Columbia SPCA is currently seeking expressions of interest from qualified candidates for its newly created position of General Manager of Veterinary Hospital Services. The General Manager of Veterinary Hospital Services will be responsible for the management, oversight and strategic direction of all BC SPCA veterinary hospitals and clinics. Reporting directly to the Chief Executive Officer and as a member of the Society’s senior management team, the General Manager of Veterinary Hospital Services will lead the team of hospital veterinarians and support staff in five locations across British Columbia in achieving BC SPCA strategic priorities, including the expansion and delivery of exceptional and compassionate care for animals in care; community outreach programs; support for veterinary research; customer service; and increased financial accountability and strength across all veterinary hospitals and clinics.
If you have the necessary skills, abilities and a passion for animal welfare and are interested in joining the largest and most progressive animal welfare organization in Canada, then we would like to hear from you. Click on apply now.
The successful candidate for this position will:
- Develop and implement an overall vision and strategic direction for all BC SPCA veterinary hospital and clinic services.
- Develop and actively monitor compliance with key success factors (KSF) and key performance indicators (KPI’s) and review and adjust policies and procedures to ensure short, medium and long term success.
- In conjunction with the various veterinary teams, develop and implement individualized short, medium and long-term performance plans for each separate BC SPCA veterinary hospital or clinic based on the strategies identified in the strategic plan and the unique strengths and competitive advantage of the facility.
- Ensure that all BC SPCA Hospitals and Clinics operate in accordance with best practices in the sector, while also meeting the diverse needs of the client base seeking services from BC SPCA veterinary hospitals and clinics.
- Build outstanding relationships with the veterinary community in those communities where the BC SPCA operates a veterinary facility.
- Lead the design process and operational requirements for the development of any new BC SPCA veterinary hospitals.
- Explore opportunities for expansion of veterinary services through non-traditional means, including mobile veterinary services and the utilization of volunteer veterinary support to achieve the mission of the BC SPCA.
- Develop an annual operating and capital budget for each veterinary facility and the Department for approval by the CEO and Board of Directors.
- Actively monitor financial performance of all hospitals and clinics, ensuring adherence to financial targets, profitability where applicable and production requirements.
- Implement innovative financial measures that reward exceptional performance by veterinary and support staff that results in strong financial and production performance in the achievement of targets.
- Provide direction to the senior manager of veterinary hospital services and hospital veterinarians, ensuring that they abide by Society policies, procedures and strategic direction, while ensuring the highest level of service and care.
- Establish and execute a vision for BC SPCA Hospitals as teaching and research facilities within the veterinary and research community in conjunction with Canadian veterinary schools and animal welfare programs.
- Ensure that all legal requirements in health & safety are met and appropriate records are maintained.
- Be responsible for development and implementation of consistent hospital policies, procedures and reporting across all hospitals and clinics.
- Communicate with the community to promote humane animal care, address animal welfare issues and promote the activities of the veterinary facility in accordance with BC SPCA’s mission and philosophy.
- Act as a leader and role model to all professional colleagues in their community by working to develop cooperative partnerships that further the well-being of the community’s animals.
Knowledge, skills and abilities required to succeed in this role:
- Registered as a licensed practitioner in good standing with the College of Veterinarians of British Columbia plus a minimum seven (7) years of business management skills demonstrated through management/ownership of one or more veterinary hospitals; or a combination of education and experience acceptable to the employer.
- Demonstrated experience in establishing strategic and operational directions and goals and monitoring their implementation and effectiveness.
- Experience in or knowledge of leading/working in a unionized environment (desirable).
- Demonstrated extensive knowledge of Cornerstone applications and familiarity with other animal related applications.
- Strong appreciation for animal welfare and philosophical harmony with the mission and vision of the BC SPCA.
- Excellent oral, written and non-verbal communication skills.
- Comfortable with addressing the media and public.
- A team player.
- High level of energy, stamina and flexibility in adapting to changing situations
- Must be willing to regularly travel within the province of British Columbia.
- Demonstrated skills in influencing, relationship-building and team-building.
If you are up for the challenge, are looking for an opportunity to be involved in a great cause and are legally entitled to work in Canada, review the job description and click on the link to apply now - https://spca.bc.ca/about-us/careers/
We welcome diversity, value differences, and foster inclusion in our employment practices. We invite applications from all qualified individuals who are philosophically aligned with our mission and guiding principles.
We thank you for your interest in the BC SPCA, however; only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.