Provincial Aboriginal Child Care Advisor (35 hours per week)
The BC Aboriginal Child Care Society (BCACCS) is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Provincial Aboriginal Child Care Advisor. The Advisor is a culturally-informed, energetic, and creative thinking individual who acts as a resource and support to: the BCACCS team, Indigenous early childhood educators (ECEs) and/or programs, non-Indigenous ECEs and service providers, and training institutions. The Advisor develops and delivers training in a wide range of Early Learning and Child Care (ELCC) topics and develops and shares information, tools and resources that support quality service delivery throughout the province. The Advisor has many years of experience in front-line practice with children and families, is experienced in working with children with additional needs and is up to date on current trends and practices in ELCC. He/she understands community protocols for engaging and working with Elders and knowledge keepers and is familiar with current Indigenous research and curriculum development strategies. As a key member of the Provincial Aboriginal Child Care Resource and Referral Program, he/she contributes to overall program planning, reporting and evaluation.
1. Develops and delivers professional development workshops for Indigenous service providers, programs and agencies in a wide range of topics related to quality care including: screening and assessment, supporting children with additional needs, working with infants and toddlers, developing programs, program administration, environmental design, and guiding and caring.
2. Develops professional development workshops for non-Indigenous service providers, programs and agencies in cultural safety, inclusion and respectful communication;
3. When requested supports community service providers, programs and agencies through consultation and coaching support;
4. Participates in developing information resources and tools;
5. Plans and/or participates in regional training sessions and conferences as requested; and
6. Maintains accurate project records and statistics, develops an annual work plan and prepares regular program reports.
• Degree or degree level training in Early Childhood Care and Education and Child & Youth Care. Candidates with an Early Childhood Education diploma coupled with a broad range of ECE program planning and curriculum development experience are also encouraged to apply.
• Minimum of 5 years’ experience working directly with children and families in Aboriginal ECE settings. Individuals with management experience and/or extensive knowledge of supporting children with additional needs preferred.
• Knowledge of relevant policies, including the Truth and Reconciliation Commission Calls to Action, the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples, Convention on the Rights of the Child
• Demonstrated ability to mentor, train and motivate ECE staff
• Excellent research and communication skills (written, oral and presentation)
• Demonstrated ability to work proficiently with Microsoft Office tools
Conditions: Must have a valid driver’s licence and operational vehicle, reside no further than one hour away from a regional airport, and be willing to travel throughout the province. Must be available, if necessary, to work evenings, weekends or statutory holidays when needed. Successful applicants will be subject to a satisfactory criminal record check. Candidates located in the Greater Vancouver Regional District who can work primarily from the BCACCS main office at 102 - 100 Park Royal South in West Vancouver, are strongly preferred.
In accordance with section 41 of the BC Human Rights Code and Section 15 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, preference will be given to qualified candidates with Aboriginal ancestry.
Salary Range: $27.00 - $30.00/hour, commensurate with experience and training
Closing Date: November 1, 2019
Duration: The initial term of the position is for two years.
Please submit 3 references and a cover letter along with a complete resume via mail, fax, or e-mail to:
Attention: Manager, Aboriginal Child Care Resource and Referral Program
We thank all those who apply. Only those candidates selected
for an interview will be contacted.
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!