Therapeutic Activation Program for Seniors (TAPS) Activity Supervisor
Burnaby Neighbourhood House is currently seeking an experienced seniors’ activity worker to join our team. The individual will implement a new day program addressing the social emotional and physical needs of frail seniors living in Burnaby. This is a new program that will be offered in partnership with Burnaby Seniors Outreach Services.
General Duties and Responsibilities:
- To create a place that welcomes seniors of diverse backgrounds and abilities.
- To support volunteers in leadership roles in the delivery of activities within the TAPS program.
- To develop and implement a therapeutic day program for frail seniors.
- To work with the program cook to ensure that seniors’ dietary needs are met.
- To work cooperatively with the BNH seniors’ program team and the Burnaby Outreach Services staff to support age related transitions from community programs to the TAPS program as well as into next levels of care.
- To support the evaluation and reporting process by gathering statistical information on contacts made and observations of program participants’ progress.
- To assist the coordinator by contributing information to case files of senior participants and liaising with support networks.
- To work as part of the BNH staff team and encourage the involvement of seniors in the community.
- To attend meetings that relate to seniors issues as necessary
- Degree or diploma in a seniors’ related field plus training and/or experience in activity program delivery or equivalent education and training.
- Strong skills and experience in working with seniors and volunteers.
- Excellent communication, planning and problem solving abilities.
- Proven ability to work effectively with diverse populations and create a welcoming and inclusive program for all.
- Passion for supporting seniors to overcome social isolation and encourage the building of their strengths and active participation in the community.
- Knowledge and awareness of issues surrounding diversity and multiculturalism.
- Willingness to be flexible and adaptable in the workplace
- Driver’s license and access to a vehicle.
- Current Emergency first-aid certification or willingness to obtain
Therapeutic Activation Program Activity Supervisor reports to the TAPS coordinator
Hours & Pay rate:
15 hours per week
Rate of pay between $19.78 plus holiday pay