Carey Hall is located within the bustling academic setting of UBC’s picturesque Vancouver campus. We are a small, innovative Christian college entering an exciting time of growth with new theological graduate degree and non-degree programs that are reaching international multi-ethnic Christian communities around the world. We also provide student residences and short- and long-term university accommodations and are poised for a major building expansion.
We're changing the face of theological education and need the right people to help us with our growth. We're a non-profit but we act like a start-up. We're seeking people who have a passion for Christian education and who will bring their "A-game" to the table to solve problems while executing our growth strategy.
We are looking for an Associate Registrar to join our team of academic administrators. The Associate Registrar serves as an administrator of the Office of the Registrar and Student Life. Under the supervision of the Registrar, the Associate Registrar works to manage key administrative tasks of the Registrar and Student Life Office, which include student support management, admissions, student billing, financial aid, database maintenance (records management), academic advising, and student communications.
Areas of Responsibility
- Records Management
- Maintains the student information system database, including contact, registration, finances, grades and official documentations for admissions and graduation.
- Serves as a point person for keeping data clean and consistent
- Develops and coordinates database in team drive pertaining to official accreditation documentation (e.g. syllabi, catalogue, policies) in collaboration with the Executive Assistant to the VP Academic;
- Serves as point person for database tech support
- Provides assistance and training to faculty, staff and students in the use of registration technologies and systems
- Assists in the administration and databasing of regular data-gathering instruments such as student evaluations, ESQ/GSQ/AQ’s, etc.
- Assists Registrar with creating student reports for course offering, enrollment management, student life, etc.
- Admissions and Student On-boarding
- Serves as a key member of the Admissions Committee
- Organizes student admissions workflows
- Coordinates with Admissions Counselors and Recruiters to finalize student applications
- Approves eligibility student applications for presentation to the Admissions Committee
- Assembles application folders for submission to Admissions Committee
- Issues admissions notifications and official documents on behalf of the Admissions Committee and the Registrar’s office
- Student Services
- Provides front line assistance to students regarding course selection, registration and payment
- Establishes and maintains timely email and phone response to student requests
- Manages student support system
- Oversees and facilitates core academic registration processes including guided studies applications
- Provides academic advising and degree audit for students in consultation with and to be approved by the Registrar or Dean’s Office
- Compiles transfer credits and advanced standing worksheets
- Issues official documents including admissions letters, forms for applying student visa, transcripts and diplomas
- Works with the Registrar to develop regular student communications e.g. monthly newsletter, weekly student announcement(s), etc.
- Student Billing and Financial Aid
- Manages student accounts – payments, statements, etc., updates student financial records and prepares annual tax receipts
- Serves as a member of the Financial Aid Committee
- Issues financial aid notifications and official documents on behalf of the Financial Aid Committee and the Registrar’s office
- Committee Involvement and Interdepartmental Collaboration
- Serves as a key member of the interdepartmental customer/student support team at Carey
- Participates in APC and Senate; including degree program committees as needed
- Provides materials, information, and other assistance to faculty for student academic advising
- On behalf of the Registrar’s office, participates in enrolment-related meetings with admissions, recruitment/marketing teams
- Provides leadership to both faculty and staff with respect to matters of Registrar’s Office policy, registration procedure, Financial Aid, and Student Advising
- Participates in other interdepartmental committees and teams as required (e.g.: graduation planning, appeals, academic probation committee)
- Works with Registrar to coordinate the annual commencement ceremony, and provides logistical/administrative support
- Additional duties as may be assigned from time to time
- A 4 year Bachelor’s degree in any field from an accredited institution
- Excellent communication skills (both written and verbal).
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in constituency support and/or administrative role (academic, church based, or in business/retail/corporate sector)
- Advanced computer/technical proficiency, with experience in working with data collection and management
- Key attributes: organized, problem solver and a team player
- 1-3 years of relevant registrarial work experience in a post-secondary educational environment
- Degree in a theological discipline (either completed or in-progress); Master’s degree preferred
- Experience with Populi or other student information system administration
- Bilingual/Multilingual (English and Cantonese, Mandarin or Spanish)
The salary range is $37k-$43k (full-time at 37.5 hours per week (initial one-year contract). A comprehensive benefits package after three months of employment includes:
- 6% matched contribution pension plan;
- extended dental and health benefits;
- life and accidental death and dismemberment insurance;
- on-campus parking;
- meal discounts;
- tuition support for Carey courses; and
- professional development allowances.
We thank you in advance for your interest in this position. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
If interested, please send a resume and one specific work example (1/2 page) describing a work-related project you completed (i.e. describe the goals of the project, the specific steps you took to complete it and what were the quantitative and qualitative results) to the email link. Please also indicate your interest in working for a Christian theological college. Please place “Associate Registrar” in the subject line.
*Carey is a ministry of the Canadian Baptists of Western Canada.