The BC SPCA is currently recruiting for a Health, Safety & Wellness Advisor who thrives in a dynamic environment, has a passion for programs that promote people being well at work, and is committed to exceptional customer service to our internal and external stakeholders. This full-time position will be located at our provincial office in Vancouver. Come join our dedicated, professional and friendly team who helps the people that help the animals!
Reporting to the Manager, Employee Relations this full-time position is responsible for developing and supporting departments in executing the BC SPCA’s health, safety, and wellness programs to reduce the risk of and improve the organizational response to occupational hazards, enhance employee wellness, and increase organizational productivity. With an overall focus on prevention and building resilience, this position will provide advice and support in injury management and wellness.
Our ideal candidate has the ability to develop and maintain an atmosphere of trust and mutual support with employees and supervisors alike. You have excellent coaching, facilitation, training and communication skills; as well as a high degree of discretion when dealing with sensitive information. You have strong time-management skills and ability to multi-task.
The role of Health, Safety & Wellness Advisor will:
- Create, coordinate, and deliver safety and wellness programs that support a healthy work environment for staff and volunteers.
- Assist managers in conducting investigations of all injuries, accidents and near misses and assist in implementing corrective procedures to minimize the potential for future injuries or accidents.
- Assist in the development or revision of health, safety, and wellness-related policies and procedures.
- Actively manage all WorkSafe BC claims including:
- Filing the claim;
- Liaising with the employee, manager and claims manager;
- Submitting information regarding objections or appeals as necessary;
- Maintaining regular communication with stakeholders; and
- Coordinating modified duties and return to work processes as necessary.
- Assist Managers in implementing critical incident debriefing, as required, including liaising with service providers, coordinating delivery, etc.
- Analyze province-wide injury trends and statistics, provide reports as required, and develop recommendations/ plans for minimizing workplace illness and injury.
- Assist in ensuring the on-going effectiveness of all joint occupational health & safety committees through providing support and advice; provide assistance in meeting WorkSafe BC requirements for training.
- Coordinate and track province-wide respirator fit-testing, hearing testing and first aid certification programs as needed.
- Develop and promote self-care and associated wellness strategies to staff and volunteer groups.
- Make recommendations regarding the health, safety and wellness budgetary items, and assist in forecasting costs as required by organizational planning.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications, Experience and Competencies:
- Completion of a diploma or degree in Human Resources or Occupational Health & Safety, plus three (3) years’ related experience or an equivalent combination acceptable to the Employer
- Professional designation and experience working in a unionized environment are considered assets
- Demonstrated knowledge of Occupational Health & Safety legislation as well as Human Rights and the Duty to Accommodate
- Philosophical harmony with the vision and mission of the BC SPCA.
- Coaching, training and facilitation skills
- Demonstrated ability to organize work, meet priorities and to work with demanding work within demanding work schedules
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and customer service skills
- Strong computer skills; high proficiency with Microsoft Office (particularly Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook)
- Ability to exercise a high level of professionalism and discretion with confidential and sensitive information
- Ability to travel throughout the province - valid BC Class 5 Driver’s License
How to apply:
Whether you are launching your career or seeking meaningful employment, and are legally entitled to work in Canada, we invite you to learn more about the BC SPCA and this great opportunity. Click on the link to complete your application by visiting: http://spca.bc.ca/about-us/careers/
We welcome diversity, value differences, and foster inclusion in our employment practices. We invite applications from all qualified individuals who are philosophically aligned with our mission and guiding principles.
We thank you for your interest in joining the BC SPCA; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.