Food Depot Assistant, Fixed-term
The Mustard Seed is a Christian humanitarian organization whose vision is to build community, grow hope and support change. Intentionally following Jesus Christ and partnering with the community, The Mustard Seed combats the root causes of poverty in Alberta and British Columbia and works to create positive, lasting change in the lives of those we serve. The Mustard Seed provides basic services—food, clothing and housing, and support services—education and employment, to those living in poverty within Alberta and British Columbia.
The Mustard Seed Edmonton Food Depot is a designated distribution centre of The Edmonton Food Bank (EFB). Our Depot has consistently been one of the largest providers of emergency food supply outside of the primary EFB location.
The Food Depot Assistant works with the Food Depot Coordinator to oversee the distribution of food supplied by the EFB. Exercising their ability to maintain strict boundaries, with Food Depot Participants, they will work with volunteers to facilitate the intake process and distribute the food in accordance with EFB eligibility/residency requirements.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Fulfil the mission of The Mustard Seed’s ministry and maintain a high level of professionalism, respect and gratitude with all staff, donors, volunteers, community participants and visitors
- Ensure that volunteers and staff treat all recipients with dignity and care consistent with the values of the Mustard Seed – Christ centeredness, transparent accountability, open communication, holistic innovation and respect
- Attend training and obtain professional escort qualifications with Corrections Canada
- Train and oversee work program participants in Food Depot warehouse operations
- Understand, communicate, and alleviate the root causes of poverty to volunteers and staff
- Understand and uphold Edmonton Food Bank policies
- Order, receive, unload and disburse goods from the EFB
- Ensure volunteers and staff adhere to safe practices established by policies and procedures
- Communicate the Mustard Seed’s mission and history to all interested parties
- Introduce recipients to our other support services, training programs, chaplaincy care etc.
- Improve processes to ensure standards of excellence in service delivery are met
- Maintain cleanliness and orderliness of Food Depot
- Brief, de-brief and pray with both staff and volunteer groups as needed
- Provide backup Street Level Worker duties as requested
- Maintain effective working relationships with other departments within The Mustard Seed
- Participate in all staff training (e.g. First Aid, SafeTALK, Nonviolence) and attend monthly general meetings and support meetings with supervisor
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Experience working within the culture of the inner city and/or with the less fortunate is preferred
- Empathetic towards, and ability to communicate with, individuals facing mental health,
- addictions, chronic illness, homelessness, poverty and related challenges
- A demonstrated passion to be involved in ending homelessness in Alberta
- Strong interpersonal, communication and resolution skills
- Well-developed organizational and leadership skills
- Team player, who works collaboratively and has a ‘teachable spirit’
- Ability to problem solve and “think on your feet"
- Flexible spirit and relational ability
- Experience coordinating volunteers
- Computer and data entry skills (MS Office)
- This is a fixed term part-time, hourly position – morning, afternoon and evening shifts working up to 16 hours per week
- The position will require ongoing compassionate care, frequent manual labor, conflict resolution and organizational ability
- Lift up to 50 pounds to sort, pack and move items
- This position is often fast-paced, and requires moderate amount of mental effort to analyze information, problem solve, multi-task and good time management
- Considerable periods of standing, walking and siting, indoors and outdoors
- Moderate to extreme physical effort including, but not limited to: regular heavy lifting (50lbs)
- Employment Security Check is required
- As The Mustard Seed is a Christian ministry, we require our employees to be in agreement and to sign our statement of faith
- Must have legal authorization to work in Canada on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer
- We are an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status
Start date: once a suitable candidate is found
Apply online using our Position Application Form on our Careers page. (https://themustardseedhr.wufoo.eu/forms/position-application-form/)
The Mustard Seed offers an Employee Family Assistance Plan and Health Spending Account benefit for fixed-term staff. We embrace the concept of employment equity, which includes fair representation, anti-discrimination and reasonable accommodation.