Based at: Brightwood Ranch, in Evansburg, AB
Reports to: Facilities and Food Services Manager
Position Duration Various according to contract
Time Availability: Summer: Sunday Afternoon –Friday Afternoon
Accommodations: According to contract
Hope Mission has a vision that men, women, youth and children who come to our doors
would come to know Jesus Christ as their personal Lord and Saviour.
This vision can be fulfilled only if all staff is diligent
in serving, strengthening and uplifting people in the name of Jesus Christ.
The Camp Cook works closely with Hope Mission’s Edmonton kitchen to provide food services at Brightwood Ranch. This includes menu creation, writing purchase orders, cooking meals for up to 170 people in the summer season, and supervising kitchen staff and volunteers. In the summer season there is usually one assistant cook, and three volunteer kitchen assistants.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
● Develop sincere relationships with the children, youth, and staff members.
● Provider spiritual direction and leadership to your kitchen staff and volunteer team.
● Communicate (though word and action) a gospel message to people who come to Brightwood.
● Create thoughtful menus that meet Canadian Food Guide standards, and are appropriate for summer kids/youth camps.
● Prepare purchase orders and coordinate purchasing the purchasing department.
● Maintain a kitchen cleaning and maintenance schedule. Request repairs as needed.
● Coordinate fridge and freezer space with the Facilities manager, Ed Lim.
● Preside over and participate in kitchen tasks to create prompt meals, most often served buffet style. Ensure FIFO and other Food Safe practices are being followed.
● Participate in kitchen end of day routines and ensure weekly, monthly, and yearly cleaning tasks are completed. Monitor sanitation practices and safety standards of all staff/volunteers/campers participating in the kitchen.
● Maintain documentation regarding cleaning and maintenance schedules.
● Facilitate kitchen meetings, prayer & devotion time, and coordinate breaks.
● Train and supervise Kitchen Assistants and Crew (youth leaders) participants to ensure safe, hygienic and quality work is being completed. Many of the staff and especially the Crew participants have little to no culinary experience.
● Communicate concerns and feedback with the Camp Director and Ed Lim about food services, staff, volunteers, Crew participants, etc.
● Complete end of summer staff and volunteer evaluation forms.
● Report any unusual situations (ie. maintenance, injuries, etc.).
● As Camp Leadership, take steps to implement and address OH&S, AHS and WHMIS procedures.
● Discuss with Camp Director anything that is of suspicion that involves the health and safety of the children and staff.
● Attend staff trainings, meetings, Bible studies, prayer meetings, and staff functions.
Minimum Qualifications and Skills
● This leadership position requires staff that are at least 21 years old.
● Completion of High school is required
● Class 5 license
● Minimum 1-2 years’ experience cooking in a high volume kitchen setting.
● Good basic knife skills
● Knowledge of common commercial kitchen appliances
● Alberta Health Services Food Safety Certificate
● WHMIS Training Certificate (available free online)
● Exceptional organization abilities and time management skills
● Effective teamwork and Self-management skills
● Physically able to lift up to 50 lbs, endure standing for long periods and working in a fast paced environment.
● Love for underprivileged kids
● Ability to communicate effectively with kids, youth and staff
● Ability to exercise authority with respect and kindess
● Effective communication, de-escalation and conflict resolution skills
● Being a Christian Organization we require our employees to be in agreement and sign the Hope Mission Statement of Faith
● Must be legally entitled to work in Canada on a full-time basis.
● Able to provide Criminal Record Check and Vulnerable Sector Search
● A letter of reference from a ministry or church is an asset
● Adherence Hope Mission’s Policies and Procedures.
1. Resume, and
2. Cover letter stating why you would like to work in a Christian Ministry
TO: People and Culture, Hope Mission
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!