The Schizophrenia Society of Alberta (SSA) provides supportive housing to 53 individuals living with schizophrenia who would otherwise be at risk for homelessness. Our three housing programs provide varying levels of support which allows tenants to have a safe and comfortable home where they are able to focus on what's most important: working towards recovery.
The Housing Program Assistant will work under the direction of the Director of Housing to ensure operational standards are maintained at the Schizophrenia Society of Alberta's Red Deer housing programs. The Housing Program Assistant will work with the service provider at Kentwood Place to promote stable tenancy in a psycho-social rehabilitation environment for individuals with serious mental illness. The Assistant will also provide supports to the operations of Lovella Apartments.
This is a 30 hour per week position with the hours of work split between Kentwood Place and the office located at the Schizophrenia Society of Alberta, Red Deer Branch.
Supportive Living Accommodations Standards & Licensing:
- Have knowledge and understanding of the Supportive Living Accommodation Standards
- Implement and collect evidence of compliance of Standards:, keep records up to date
- Role model and support team on implementing standards and protocols
- Work with all provincial or municipal licensing inspectors and address concerns in a timely manner
- Work closely with service provider in the admission of new tenants to the facility. Participate in intake interviews with proposed new tenants
- Conduct move in-out reports and lease signing package
- Manage all financial aspects around rental payments, act as a liaison with tenant's public/private trustees and AISH workers. Managing petty cash, receipts and invoicing
- Address any breach of the accommodation's Rules and Regulations with the service provider and tenant
- Conduct monthly Tenant Meetings and address tenant concerns and requests in a timely manner
- Make final decisions on room cleanliness and what a tenant can have in their room
- Conduct facility inspection checklists daily, weekly, monthly to identify potential concerns or repairs.
Coordination of Staff:
- Collaborate with Kitchen staff, Tenant Support Workers, Caretaker and Director of Housing
- Coordinate housekeeping services
- Arrange for staff or preferred contractors to make repairs or prepare quotes for repairs or purchases
- Schedule casual Tenant Support Workers when needed
- On-Call and reporting to Director of Housing
- Regularly meets with Tenant Support Workers, SSA Branch and Provincial Staff and Service Provider to discuss issues impacting the facilities.
- Contribute to participatory decision-making process focusing dialog around finding sustainable solutions to the best interest of the operator SSA
- Provide feedback for evaluation purposes and to assist in building a cohesive team
- Diploma or degree in a community services field or a combination of experience will be considered.
- 2-4 years of experience working in a mental health or care facility setting.
- Property management experience: lease signing move-in/out inspections, rent collection
- Familiarity and experience with psycho-social rehabilitation is preferred.
- High level of professionalism, integrity and strong ethical values.
- Can demonstrate capacity to maintain highest standards of confidentiality with all records, including organizational and individual information.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively work with partnerships and multiple stakeholders including social service partners, contractors and government agencies.
- Knowledge in:
- Supportive Living Accommodations Licensing Act
- Landlord and Tenancy Act
- Municipal by-laws
- Tenant & Family Councils
- Must be able to problem solve by understanding policies and procedures and implement solutions
- Must be very organized, strong attention to details and an effective communicator
- Knowledge of record keeping, file management and standard office procedures.
- Proficient computer skills, ability to use Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook is required
- Experience in scheduling staff to fulfill needs
- Must be flexible and able to shift priorities and hours of work if needed
- Reliable vehicle to travel between sites and errands
- General Knowledge in minor household repairs.
Compensation: staring rate: $20.19 per hour
Benefits (health & dental coverage etc.) after a 3-month probation period
Accrual vacation time: 3 weeks per year