Human-Centered Design (HCD) Implementation Specialist
Chrysalis: An Alberta Society for Citizens with Disabilities-Calgary is looking for a Human-Centered Design (HCD) Implementation Specialist. This two-year temporary position plays a central leadership role in the implementation and adoption of the organization-wide strategy of Human-Centered Design (HCD). You will be a crucial member of the implementation work with all members of the organization and closely with the implementation team. This position reports to the Director of Calgary Services and works closely with the Director of Social Innovation.
What is HCD?
“It’s a process that starts with the people you’re designing for and ends with new solutions that are tailor-made to suit their needs. Human-centered design is all about building a deep empathy with the people you’re designing for; generating tonnes of ideas; building a bunch of prototypes; sharing what you’ve made with the people you’re designing for, and eventually putting your innovative new solution out in the world.” (https://www.thisishcd.com/about/what-is-hcd/)
Chrysalis has embraced this approach to enhance outcomes for service individuals.
Role and Responsibilities
- Key influencer and champion of the HCD project team in the implementation HCD.
- Mentoring co-workers and facilitating individual and group discussions and ongoing liaison with leadership to ensure the success of the HCD plan
- Employing the HCD tenets of creative confidence, empathy, optimism, iteration, learning from experience/challenges and embracing ambiguity in all professional aspects
- A primary role in assisting the team reach vital objectives and deliverables of each 7-week cycle to ensure success
- Empowering the team to achieve solutions to unanticipated challenges and adopt key learning for future improvement in HCD integration and individual service/staff experience.
- Successfully implementing five 7-week HCD cycles with the project team reaching a target of 30 service individuals each year of the two-year term
- Working closely with the entire HCD Implementation Team
- Profiling accomplishments through regular internal communications (i.e. staff meetings, email, MyCompass) and external (i.e. parent information sessions, presentations at local conferences, such as the Alberta Council of Disability Services and other opportunities that come available).
- Influencing the organization to embrace the HCD process, mindset and approach to shaping the workforce
- Engaging people staff and service individuals to create solutions to barriers and experiences that enable people to dream and achieve their goals
- Collecting and organizing qualitative and quantitative outcome measures /Key Performance Indicators for HCD
- Generating strategies and ideas to improve outcomes for individuals we serve in meaningful and demonstrable ways.
- Proven experience in a leadership role or actively contributing to a highly collaborative and complex team to the accomplishment of the collective goals.
- Ability to respect and maintain a high level of confidentiality and discretion at all times.
- Engaging diverse groups or individuals idea and input, accurately assessing and leveraging needs, talents and strengths
- Inspiring and contributing to an inclusive culture of continuous and collaborative learning
- Inclusive interpersonal skills and relationship management
- A flexible, proactive approach to work including the ability to prioritize and re-prioritize
- Self-motivation & Initiative
- Confidentiality & Integrity
- Interpersonal Relations & Respect
- Project/Program Development, Implementation, Coordination & Evaluation
- Inclusive Leadership (EACH)
- Creative Problem Solving
Skills & Qualifications
- Diploma in disabilities/rehabilitation, inclusive education, social work
- Three years of experience in leadership, disabilities, project management is an asset
- A certificate in Human-Centered Design preferred
- Familiar with MyCompass is a wonderful compliment
- Proficient with Google Suite, Doc, Sheets, Slides, Calendar and Email
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are essential
- Creative, innovative, courageous and passionate
- Able to motivate, influence and engage others
If you are innovative, inclusive and passionate about Human-Centered Design and desire to contribute to improving meaningful outcomes for others, then this position may be for you!