Do you want to be a part of the change you want to see in the world? At Scouts Canada our Vision is “Canadian youth making a meaningful contribution to creating a better world?” For more than 100 years, Scouts Canada has brought a world of adventure, outdoor experience, friendship and fun to 17 million Canadian youth and we need passionate people who share our Mission to develop well-rounded youth better prepared for success in the world.
Scouts Canada is seeking a Manager, Growth and Development to join our Scouting Experience team to support this brand new role and team across Canada (Greater Toronto Area, Ottawa, London, Hamilton, Calgary, Edmonton, and Vancouver). Reporting to the Regional Director, Central Canada and will be based out of a home office supporting Key markets throughout Canada.
The successful candidate is committed to our Mission; “Developing well rounded youth better prepared for success in the world.” They appreciate the flexibility of working from a home-office and is able to leverage technology to quickly build trusted relationships.
We have aggressive growth objectives and we are looking for someone who loves a good challenge and has a proven record of accomplishment of producing sustainable results.
Do you think you have what it takes to become our next Manager, Growth and Development? If you answered yes, we want to hear from you!
Specifically, you will be responsible for:
Working in partnership with key stakeholders this individual will support achievement of organizational outcomes by:
New Group Start-up Leadership:
· Shared accountability and leadership to the New Group Start up Team in collaboration with senior Scouts Canada volunteers and staff partners.
· Manage a remote team of New Group start up staff placed in strategic locations across Canada to help Contribute to the growth and viability of Scouts Canada.
· Support and work in partnership with Regional Directors, Members of the Scouting Experience Leadership Team, Group Commissioners and other key volunteers to achieve organizational growth and health.
Build the Scout Scouting Community
· Open New Scouting Groups in line with the project plan, and using local knowledge, contribute to the ongoing development of the project plan as needed.
· Enable and motivate local Scouting to plan, apply and refresh focussed, sustainable growth plans in existing and new communities.
· Advise and support local Scouting upon the retention and recruitment of adult volunteers.
· Undertake and/or support the onboarding of Group commissioners (and section level Scouters where appropriate).
· Advise, support and encourage Scouting to engage with communities currently under-represented in Scouting and provide quality program for them.
· Help develop and deliver training, events and activities within and outside the Region(s), designed to support Scouting and promote local growth and development.
· Assess, open, support, and follow up with new healthy groups designed to drive Scouts Canada’s membership by ensuring groups have what they need to be successful including well trained engaged volunteers and a solid plan of sustainability
· Help identify, create and design new tools and resources to support growth and development across the Region(s) and more widely.
· Liaise with other staff from our National staff team concerning development and volunteering issues.
· Administer and maintain an effective home-based office and budget.
· Any other duties as may reasonably be required by their direct manager and the Regional Director.
Role Specific Competencies
Proven success in the following job competencies:
· A people person with high energy and a passion for motivating people and enabling volunteers
· Initiative; anticipate needs, devise solutions and achieve results with and through people
· Outstanding written & oral communications
· Excellent planning, organizational and problem-solving skill
Education, Experience & Skills
· A passion for Scouts Canada’s Mission and in-depth knowledge of Scouts Canada’s policies, procedures, standards and program are essential.
· Related post secondary education or combination of education and work experience.
· Minimum 3 years of experience in a volunteer management related role. Knowledge of Bylaw, Policies and Procedures, Scouting program, and Scouts Canada structure
· In-depth knowledge in the following areas:
· Adult learning and development
· Outdoor recreation and education
· Even management
· Works in a home office environment.
· Significant travel including driving (Time spent in key markets supporting growth away from home)
· Irregular working hours – overtime hours and/or non-traditional (evenings and weekends) will be required.
· Must remain discrete and maintain high levels of confidentiality
· Must role model values of Scouts Canada including the Child and Youth Safety program.
· PRC (Police Record Check) and VSS (Vulnerable Sector Check) required
· Mandatory training requirement
· Working from a home office
· Sitting for extended periods of time
We’ve got you covered:
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes a fabulous merchandise discount; an employer-matched retirement plan after one year; extended health, prescription, vision and dental coverage and more.
If this role excites you, we want to hear from you! Please take the time to tell us about yourself in a cover letter — we want to hear your story — your background, your accomplishments, and why this role is a good fit with your future career aspirations. We want to learn about you!
Scouts Canada thanks you for taking the time to consider this position. Please understand that only individuals chosen for an interview will be contacted.
Scouts Canada encourages applications from all qualified candidates and has a great record of accommodating persons with disabilities. Contact Human Resources if you need accommodation at any stage of the application process or want more information on our accommodation policies.
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!