Summary of Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Coordinator, the Youth and Family Counsellor provides time-limited, goal-oriented clinical counselling and therapeutic support for youth with mental health issues and their families. The Youth and Family Counsellor also provides therapeutic interventions and parenting support for parents. Services are provided in BGC offices, in the client’s home, and/or in a community setting. The Youth and Family Counsellor supports/empowers the youth and/or family in identifying, understanding, and overcoming personal/family problems, and in establishing and achieving realistic goals.
- Provides counselling and outreach services youth ages 13-19 and their families referred by MCFD or Child & Youth Mental Health.
- Assesses youth and family needs and establishes goals to develop a service plan with the participation of the client.
- Develops and implements a treatment plan, and delivers therapeutic interventions.
- Plans, prepares, and conducts group and/or individual counselling sessions with clients.
- Provides follow-up support to client upon leaving the program as appropriate.
- Responsible for case management including evaluation of clients’ progress.
- Maintains up-to-date records on clients; provides progress reports to the Coordinator and the MCFD. Completes all required documentation.
- Connects client to other team members as needed.
- Advises other professionals involved with the client when further evaluation or more intensive treatment is required.
- Discusses case planning and concerns with clinical supervisor, members of the team, as well as with other professionals in the community, strictly respecting client confidentiality.
- Participates as a member of the BGC Family Counselling team including consultation, sharing of information and expertise, and participation in intake meetings.
- Participates in establishing a positive, healthy, and safe team that fosters individual and team growth.
- Provides consultation within BGC staff members and to those working with client’s i.e. coworkers, social workers, probation officers, and other professionals.
- Maintains a thorough knowledge of community resources to meet clients’ needs.
- Delivers community presentations and collaborates in planning prevention programs.
- Participates in staff training sessions and public education forums, seminars, and conferences relevant to specific program areas.
- Participates in program evaluation. Provides suggestions to modify programs and proactively participates in planning and implementing changes as needed.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- A passion for working with youth.
- A team player who is flexible and self-motivated.
- Clean Criminal Record Check (Vulnerable Sector).
- At least one year’s relevant work experience.
- A Master’s degree in counselling, social work or a related field.
- A valid BC Class 4 driver’s license or willingness to obtain within 6 months.
- A clear driver’s abstract and use of a reliable vehicle insured for business use ($2 million liability).
- First Aid and CPR certification.
- An overall philosophy that values and respects the wisdom of youth.
- Knowledge of adolescent development.
- Direct program delivery experience in the community social services sector with a demonstrated working knowledge of community-based programs and related provincial and community support services systems.
- Knowledge of therapeutic intervention strategies related to mental health, substance abuse, suicide prevention, child protection, etc.
- Knowledge of relevant clinical modalities and strategies used with children, youth, and parents.
- Knowledge of group process and skilled in the use of facilitation techniques.
- Experience in assessment and documentation.
- Knowledge of relevant government legislation and policy.
- Good organizational and time management skills.
- Excellent communication skills (both written and verbal).
- The ability to work independently, as well as part of a cohesive team.
- Personal maturity, sound judgment, and excellent interpersonal skills.
This is a part time position.
CLOSING DATE: Open until filled
Thank you in advance to all persons who apply for this position. Please note that only those selected for interview will be contacted.