Standard hours: 35 Hours per week. Typical business hours with the expectation for early morning and early evening hours arranged through flexible work arrangements.
Function: Through direct service and consultation, promotes inclusionary practices by recommending and demonstrating best practices geared to enhance the capacity of staff working within prescribed licensed child care programs specifically with children experiencing significant behavioural/mental health concerns. The Behaviour Consultant- Occupational Therapist will work in collaboration with the multi-agency interdisciplinary team to build the capacity of supervisors and educators in responding to current needs and issues in licensed child care programs in the area of behavioural/mental health concerns of children by facilitating professional learning events and professional learning communities.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Make visits to identified licensed child care programs to heighten staff awareness, knowledge, and confidence in supporting children with behavioural/mental health concerns
- Support the development of an individual plan outlining behaviour guidance strategies which the program staff and the family can use to support the child’s optimal development, self-regulation and adaptive skills.
- Make referrals to other community services and supports as needed
- Provide input into recommendations and to the discharge summary report when a licensed child care centre no longer requires formal services/support.
- Develop and/or facilitate professional learning opportunities, study groups, staff meeting discussions, etc. to enhance and build the capacity of supervisors and educators in working with children with behavioural/mental health concerns.
- Identify clients whose sensory processing, motor and/or executive functioning may be impacting their functioning.
- Enhance the interdisciplinary team’s capacity through in-services and provision of resources. In-services will be designed to inform interdisciplinary team members of additional causes of functional and behavioral issues (ex. sensory processing disorder, executive functioning and motor coordination challenges) as well as to inform team members of plausible strategies that they could implement to overcome the challenges of the students.
- Available to discuss possible OT specific assessments for identified clients
- Environment/task analysis to examine factors that may limit successful participation across settings with recommendations promoting social emotional learning and regulation of overactive/underactive sensory systems, that affect the child’s ability to interpret sensory information meet the demands within the environment and fully join in.
- Clinical skills
- Enhanced interpersonal skills
- Enhanced problem solving and decision-making skills
- Leadership skills
- Job task planning and organization skills
- Written skills
- Professionalism skills
- Oral communication skills
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience related to inclusion and working with children with behavioural/mental health concerns and their families, preferred
- Experience assessing children’s occupational therapy needs and developing intervention plans
- Experience using standardized assessment tools (i.e. BOT-2, Movement ABC-2, Bruininks-Oseretsky Test of Motor Proficiency, SPM)
- Experience in developing mentoring relationships among colleagues and in coaching / mentoring Supervisors and educators
- Proven ability to work independently and as a leader within a multi-disciplinary team
- Knowledge of current issues in early learning and child care, particularly as it relates to inclusion and special needs
- Strong knowledge of emergent curriculum, pedagogy of high-quality programs, self-regulation and other training resources/tools specific to behavioural/mental health concerns.
- Knowledge of and involvement in the early learning community in Hamilton
- Knowledge and understanding of the diverse community in Hamilton
Education and Training Qualification(s)
- Degree in Occupational Therapy from a recognized university
- Registered with the College of Occupational Therapists of Ontario (COTO)
- Current Standard First Aid training
- French Language Competency an asset
Hourly Rate of Pay